Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Recommendations for a good zoom please
  • Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good zoom for video work with the GH2:

-Any mount/brand which allows adjustment of iris is fine.

-Not bothered about auto focus, not bothered about zooming during a shot, unless there is a lenses which holds focus pretty well while zooming.

-Ideally 11-60mm ish but anything down to about 14-50mm would be ok.

-Max about f4, faster the better though.

-Minimal breathing while focusing

-Usable manual focus ring (Canon 24-70mm design would be fine)

-Good picture quality

Price isn't too much of an issue if all of the above are ticked (as long as it's not silly money) Olympus 14-35mm is too heavy by the sounds of it.

Thanks for any advice

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Tokina 28-80. Get it now. Otherwise the new 14-42 x lens I beleive.

• Ah cool thanks, so breathing is minimal? Is there a wider tokina zoom to compliment the 28-80? Cheers

• Hmmm... isn't the Panasonic 14mm-140mm zoom lens fulfilling your wishlist (plus adding some more)? It's also sold as a kit lens with the GH2 at reasonable prices.

(I for one like the very good stabilization on the long end of this zoom lens - I can actually shoot useful scenes without any tripod at 140mm...)

• Yeah love my 14-140mm, it's just a bit too slow though at f5.6 and the focus ring isn't ideal. I generally use a sony z7, but want to somehow use my gh2 in it's place for some studio work.

• 14-140 is unusable for night shots

• Even with a 2.8 zoom you'll be struggling with night shots unless you throw a bit of light.

• I have the 14-140 kit lens, and while it works well in good light, I am frustrated by the exposure shifts when zooming in video mode. Also, the focus and zoom rings are also difficult to turn smoothly.

What GH2 compatible "constant aperture" zoom lenses exist and what do they cost?

• I love this Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm made by Komine.. Its cheap and has a film-like quality to it that none of my other lenses have....all for $60. I like this way better than my 14-140mm. The only thing is that it MUST be on a steady shoulder rig or tripod or you'll end up with lots of jello and its heavy as Hell.