Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Your 2015 home theater could have 64 speakers :-)
  • 25 Replies sorted by
  • I wonder whether LPowell sat in on these tests in San Fran?

Lee??

• Yep, PM him. I hope he could tell us some things about it.

• well delivery of the sound is nice but how about creating the sound for 64 channels... ; ) and frankly we have only two (2.0) ears. maybe a better solutions will be a proper binaural recording/delivery system(headphones that is) research for the extra realistic sound punch.

• @luxis

This is solution for theaters, this is first.
    Next, of you go to link you'll see that they are independent from channels number, as they describe each sound as object (with 3D position, etc) As for binaural systems, they are interesting, but have bunch of problems by themselfs and hardly suited for film production.

• oh, ok more clear now - i saw this part where he explains the 3d position. etc. people that work with spacialization (ircam, cycling74-max msp,etc i think have been working on similar things for years but in music/sound installation context). the binaural delivery is successful only if recorded in binaural mode(head dummy) and delivered in similar way-headphones. so i guess very impractical in most film productions...but i still believe there is a sound narrative potential in it in smaller productions somehow...maybe experimental stuff...off topic...

• @luxis I agree with binaural

allow me to be "Non-PC" for a moment...

this Dolby Atmos concept is an absolute pile of corporate BS! - sounds more like "Expert" audio con-men and CE industry scheme leading the dumber theater owners and audiophiles with deeper pockets into a sinkhole!

a 64.2 mix? what next, a 128.4... then, 256.16? by their reasoning, next generation they'll say, you need 400 omni-directional speakers...

Bottom Line: Each audience member ONLY has 2 ears and eyes, and every audience member deserves the best sound in the house, which is only attainable with closed ear headphones. - I'd propose:a wireless reference standard Surround Headphone with external noise cancellation, which can then be sold and purchased to be calibrated and fine-tuned for you by a licensed audiologist
    to solve every room issue and multichannel audio scheme in history... End of Story

PS. You need Full Range speakers everywhere for this concept to even start to make sense, because bass does have direction, and real sound does behave like light waves so every room sounds different depending on number of people in it and room shape (ex: difference between laser focus of ear-piercing high trumpet solo in your face vs Marching band bass drum chest-thumping boom)

End of Rant... (fade out, if you haven't already)... ;-)

• every audience member deserves the best sound in the house, which is only attainable with closed ear headphones

I prefer open headphones :-) And some guys prefer open electrostats :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I prefer open also, but bleed would become an issue in that scenario - especially sitting next to next generation of partially deaf ipod users next to you, with volume cranked up smacking gum or slurping pop.

Until they directly tap into your auditory canal, there will be some compromise, and it's best left to the consumer to come in with their own set of calibrated wireless heaphones of their liking.

• Enter Mr Powell...

• Fk me they're struggling deciding on metering for 6 speakers - dialnorm's been ditched so good 'ol Dobly invent some more annoyingly mad shit that you can only truly appreciate in the exact phase aligned position the engineer sat in, between 8 pints down the pub, when making the noise :) 2 ears Haas effect - sorted. Prize for the first to name a 64 eared animal (aside from Mr Doblys pet dog) Try phase aligning 5 speakers - hmmph then spend 20k on your room then re-align - sit on x marks the spot - don't move - whole idea is borked from day 1 - most cinemas have next door bleed, skewed output - pissed projectionists turning it down/up etc etc - I'm lucky enough, like a load of us here, to sit in the sweet spot of some v nice studios - hey Led zeps best shit was mixed thru a broken yamaha power amp down the road, even though our rich mates assure us they're hearing When The Levy Breaks best though their Zinga Sound 30k monitors - even though it was signed off on a couple of hundred quids worth of squidgy cardboard. Whatever makes us happy eh! :)

• @soundgh2 that was funny! :))) maybe they are thinking a one person per screening situation aright at the sweet spot... ; )

• I suggest they bundle one of these free with every 64.2 speaker installation:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146368-REG/Neumann_KU_100_KU_100_Dummy_Head.html

;-)

• oscar's head...? so cheap? ; )

• @luxis lol aye if I was being pedantic (and drunk) like I told my 20k cement sealed record deck enthusiast and through 30k (who knows who made em) speakers, after 10 cans and listened to Led Zep 3 first pressing (of course) - it was mixed on broken NS10's with dodgy amp and - no you aren't hearing it as it was supposed to be heard - we're not listening through the broken £100 speakers and a borked Yamaha amp etc - but hey buy the funny looking shit (with diodic cable (ahem)) and be happy! Like anything, if it pleases us - lovely! If it's a hooby spend on - if it's a job - it's a job - not so exciting! If you sat in the middle seat - that's what the mix is - even the A&R man with his does fuck all but play with the DFA fader down the end doesn't get the joy of actually really listening to the definitive mix - most people don't ever - it's all a compromise. But hey after all it's only music/telly/film - not going to save lives is it

• I think i know why Lee left this thread alone..hehe

• Yep, he did everything right :-)

• Me and my 1977 Stax Sigma panoramic, although the open AKG1000 sounds real nice.

• Speakers sounds and feel absolutely different. Proven by science, as every human percieve certain frequencies not only by ears.

• Dolby Atmos has the amazing ability to have sounds come from above you. In the movie Noah, for instance, Dolby Atmos in the cinema made it sound like the torrential rains were pouring down from the sky on top of you. And if you see Godzilla in a Dolby Atmos theatre, hearing the monster roar above you is beyond realistic—it’s terrifying.

You’re probably wondering how you can recreate this effect in your living room. We want to make bringing Dolby Atmos into your home as easy as possible, so we’ve given you choices.

If you’re willing and able to install speakers in your ceiling, there will be great options. If that’s not possible for you—and for many people, it isn’t—our partners will offer new Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers that produce full, detailed overhead sound from speakers located where your conventional speakers are now.

http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-atmos-coming-soon-living-room-near/

• Couldn't care less. Most 5.1 mixes (let alone 7.1 andwhatnot) totally suck, when you play them on a laptop, tablet or anything with just 2 speakers - which is the case over 90% of the time. Personally, I prefer a good stereo mix. Woody Allen got away with mono for his films till 2012 - didn't hurt anything.

• Well, it seems you do not get it completely.

First, how 5.1 mix is played on your laptop depends on decoder and settings in it (good players allow to set how mixing down is made). And also on horrible speakers.

Second, properly mixing object based multichannel audio is simpler than 5.1 one.

Athough various manufacturers have licensed the Dolby Atmos name for home speaker systems over the past year, at CES Samsung Electronics introduced a first-ever wireless soundbar package utilizing Dolby Atmos technology: the HW-K950. We took a look, and bent an ear.

Building on Samsung’s Wireless Audio 360 series, the HW-K950 is both Samsung’s first soundbar to feature Dolby Atmos and the industry’s first soundbar package to include a pair of Atmos-capable wireless rear speakers in the box. Combined, the set-up delivers powerful 5.4.1-channel sound that envelops viewers from all sides.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016/01/09/samsung-dolby-atmos-soundbar-may-game-changer/78554828/

zebra686.jpg
    531 x 396 - 40K