Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 for multirotors
  • Hi people, a lot of you use the gh2 on tripod or rigs or something else, i use it on a multirotor, the gh2 is the best one to load on a multirotor thanks to it's great quality and light weight. I'd like to know if there is someone else here that use the gh2 in the same way and what's are the best settings for a good flight-shooting. At the moment I have the original firmware, updated to the latest release, it works pretty good but probably could be better with an hacked one. You can take a look at my last shooting, made with the 14-42 G X compact lens, i feel that in the pan movements the gh2 loose the focus or in general gives more blurred results.

it's still nothing professional so all the good tips are well come

thanks in advance

• 23 Replies sorted by
  • @anaka I have not looked at the sample (I am on my phone not desktop) but I would say that for any high motion shot, trying an intra-frame codec would really improve motion over factory settings (SpanMyBU, Orion, Sedna, etc.) and that for 720P Sanity 3.1 or Sanity 4 are a good place to start.

If the motion problem encountered is anything like what I encountered when shooting panning tele-photo footage of hummingbirds, the additonal bitrate should help a lot.

• But if your main issue is rolling shutter, then none of the patches decrease that. Good luck!

• Motion blur might be reducing detail on pans as well. To counter that you could either try shooting a faster shutter speed or maybe a faster framerate, like 30p or 60i.

• Anaka, Try 720p @50/60fps with a 1/100 shutter.

• hi thepalaias no problems for rolling shutter it is the blurred images in the pan or fast lateral motions, probably you are right with increase the intra-frames bitrate the firmware versions that you are suggesting work only on the old haced firmware? or also on the new?

hi rambo, also this solution looks interesting but I think it's only for 720p right?

• Well you could use the faster shutter on 1080 if the blur on 1/50 is to much. Reason I posted 720p @50/60fps @1/100 is that is what I use exclusively to minimize blur where the camera is in motion when I shoot from the rear of a Jetski. In some ways the motion is similar to a multirotor aerial mounting situation. The trade off is you may get slight strobing which you probably get a similar Judder with 24p frame rate anyway. The major issue is usually the rolling shutter in 1080/24 for camera in motion shots.

This was shot on the Pany with 720p 50fps @ 1/100

• regarding the rolling shutter, someone totally fixed the issue on a gopro just using ND filters, i'm pretty sure that the same can be for all the othre cmos cameras, did someone experimented this techiique?

• Yes apart from the prop cartwheel effect, the ND also reduces the effect of "jello" from high freq vibrations transmitted to the Gopro through the mount on planes/multicopters etc. One of the members on my Gopro Forum http://goprouser.freeforums.org constructed a variable vibrating jello inducing testbed and ND's were proven to reduce the interaction of shutter speed with the high freq vibes. Was quite a pronounced reduction.

• One other observation in your video, you seem to be losing detail from there not being enough light at that time of day or maybe exposure was off a bit, better lighting would help retain detail, possibly even in pans. Does it blur also in good daylight?

• yes also in daylight, I have the sensation that can depend by the 14-42 g x optic, but it's someting that I need do test better. I have one more video in fully day light where the problem is visible too

• I still think you're shooting in the wrong frame rate for that kind of camera motion, basically, your breaking every rule for 24p footage acquisition. 720p 50/60 fps will be a huge improvement in pans and motion. Try 1/50 and 1/100 see what you prefer. Also you seem to be still slightly under exposed or shooting really flat, add a bit of exposure compensation before you press record.

• There is something wrong with your post pipeline. 1080p 24 motion blur shouldn't be that pronounced at 1/50. It looks like you might be interpolating to a different framerate.

• I'm in the early stages of building an open pilot Quad copter. Can you share the specs on your copter? What controller, motors etc. It seems you have a stabilizing gimbal?

I'd love to see someone shoot with the new OM-D with built in 5 axis stabilization.

• or better still, this new camera, OIS is awesome.

• wow! amazing OIS!!

hi disneytoy the system is a mikrokopetr 8 engines with AV130 gimbal everithing is customized by me to improve stability, these hardware still are young and not ever thet release the quality declared by developers

• regarding the ND filter technique, does anyone did a try on it with a dslr camera? I've seen other tests with gopro and one with a sony compat camera, it really fixes the rolling shutter, exist one more video made with the AF100, the broadcast version of GH2 it looks so easy that i can't beleave that someone fixed rolling shutter in this way and didn't share

• That's because you can't fix rolling shutter with a ND filter. What you are seeing is a change in the auto shutter settings in the cheap cameras. The ND filter is forcing the shutter to change to a slower speed, which will, in the video of the prop, causes less of the prop to be sampled. Also, you can clearly see that the cheap ND gel greatly reduces the resolution of the shot, which will help by smearing all of the high frequency edge details, turning them into blur.

It's not fixing any rolling shutter, it's a timing trick.

Besides, faster shutters reduce jello, not slower shutters.

• Oh and @Rambo, next time.. Less boats, more girls!

• More girls, duly noted svart. About the jello and HF resonance. HF vibes like those transmitted from an engine via the camera mount react with the shutter speed to create a wave that moves slowly thru the video, it's a different look than just the common wobble. Using an ND changes the shutter speed which eliminates the wave but not the jello. On a GH2, just need to change shutter speed, no ND. We were also able to eliminate the wave by adding mass to the camera to change it's resonance. Think of how tuning fork vibrates when a sound matches its resonance freq.

• the problem of that steadyshot is that it stabilize pan & tilt but not the roll, necessary in aerial use..

• ok guys here you can see what i'm talking abouth

i remember one more video, made with gopro on a controlled vibrating plate, the guy was focusing on jello effect and with the nd filter was getting really good results, if someone knows the link can post it

i'd like to understand more abouth this technique, ND changes shutter speed in compact cameras, i'd like to understand if in gh2 we have ehough controls to achieve similar results without to use nd filters

• I still don't understand why rolling shutter should be reduced by ND-filters. You force your automatic camera to lower the shutter speed and hence you force it to more motion blur. That means that fast moving subjects becomes more invisible. The faster moving tip of a rotor becomes more invisible than the slower moving core. That is the effect in my opinion what you see and nothing more...

You will always suffer on more motion blur and even the iso goes up on automatic cameras.

Put your shutter speed of your GH2 to 1/2 s, change to 2fps in post that you end up with 360degree and you get rid of any rolling shutter effects :-( ... of course in sun light you need for that an ND-filter :-)

• hi tida, i have a gh2 by the moment it was released i don't want to use ND all costs, i just want to know how is it possible to chieve the same results of the videos i posted with a gh2 using only camera settings i can see your point, i get more blurred images but depending by what you need to do with the video shooted it could be better have blur than rolling shutter