Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RED V-RAPTOR ST 8K-VV Camera with 8K 120fps raw recording

• 8K 35.4-megapixel CMOS sensor (40.96mm x 21.60mm)
    • 17 stops of dynamic range
    • Canon RF mount
    • 2.4” LCD display
    • 8K raw recording at 120fps
    • 2K raw recording at 600fps
    • Using CFexpress media cards
    • 1.8kg
    • Supports Micro V-Lock batteries
    • Two 4K 12G-SDI outputs
    • XLR audio port with phantom power
    • 2.4Ghz/5Ghz Wi-Fi
    • $24,5000 at https://www.red.com/v-raptor-st?quantity=1&package=2

sa18117.jpg
    481 x 479 - 27K
    sa18138.jpg
    800 x 473 - 48K
  • 12 Replies sorted by
  • People still buy Red in 2021?

• @sammy

They do, RED moved to the top. They always hated more mass produced cameras.

And now it is lot of free newly printed money in US and UK, lot of it goes to corporate and rental video guys.

• Moved to the top ? You don’t actually mean ahead of Arri

• Arri will be challenged by this new sensor, that is a fact.

about the post compatibility and RAW versatility and ecosystem i still think arri is soooooooooooooo much mature than RED. But RED they are there catching up.

• I trust Arri 100x more than I do Red,and track record and history of company is self evident . I don't see anyway Arri moving to a new sensor after 10 plus years with alexa sensor a not be a calculated move that hasn't been in works for a few years and I belive it will be a noticeable improvement than Alexa sensor (which is hard to belive can happen) . RED in mean time hasn't even came close to final image quality ,I for one can't see my self paying 2 to 8 times more for a Red when a Mavo edge ,or ursa G2 or new sonys or pansonics can give as same or better image than best Red out

• The problem with red is the all software.

From programming the correct color science to choosing the correct noise pattern for each gain the camera has, encountering the balance between noise Dynamic range and real resolution, cadence of movement, refresh rate of sensor during shutter speeds. All that Arri is unbelievable yet. The ecosystem is much much mature and also red makes their shit from taking other parts from the shelf and cheap ones to increase profit. Arri does not do that, they do make all their parts for them.

So final quality is the result. Never the less I expect really good thing from this new red sensor. It’s just you have to invest more in post I assume to take that image near Arri final product. It can be done yes is more work yes does it matter?

That is the question.

• It will be interesting if Arri choice of pricing changes for the new camera with this new Red released, i think highly unlikely will see it below 35k$ (without evf) ,closer to 40k would be my guess , just like original Mini .

• i think arri at this point is milking away 10 year old technology and are some high greedy mother fuckers.

R&D from my perspective is very low,

• 24K too steep for me! Hoping the new Nikon has good DR.

• How are they greedy when they still offer you best image ????why no one has beat them ? Your statement don’t make sense