Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Motion JPEG quality vs. HBR/H24
  • Hi, I have been playing with Motion JPEG resize configuration (SDHC 80MBs write/95MBs read) and I foun out that GH2 can record MJEPG 720 30p resized to:

1920x1080 (FULL HD format)

2048x1152 (RED 2K format)

2240x1260 (deppending on comprimation set it uses to stop recording)

2560x1440 (deppending on comprimation set it uses to stop recording)

I know that regular todays TVs are ,,just,, Full HD :-) ... but sometimes it is usefull to shoot bigger resolution in cases, when the picture will be stabilized in postproduction... or, for some effects in After Effects...

So I would like to start this thema to find out, wether it is possible to get better quality picture from MJEPG then HBR (Let´s say just 1920x1080). I am not very skilled in comprimation settings, just trying different settings in PToolv364d (Thank you VK !!!)

Anybody wants to play with, lets say RED 2K resolution? :-)

1). And one question for Vitaliy... is it possible to set/programe GH2 to record Motion JEPG in 25/24 fps?

2.) Or to set it for native 2:1 size? For now 720 reccord 16:9 and 480 reccord 4:3 size.

Thanks

Stanley

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • i think its not possible to change frame rate, it is fixed on 30. i dont have a fast card but 2k would be great to tamper with!

• Yes, 2K is ok. I made one firmware version: just unlocked all locked thing and changed MJPEG resolution to 2048x1152 (all compression from original firmware) and it shoots with no problem :-) .... just, my question is, if the quality is better or not then HBR

• best thing is to check it yourself @guzak
    I think not, but it will not be much different.
    Else try this setting from driftwood. its for mjpeg
    720p30 width=1920
    720p30 height=1080
    E1 Quality=512 E1 Table=4 E2 Quality=422 E2 Table=26 E3 Quality=422 E3 Table=26 E4 Quality=486 E4 Table=6 F1 Quality=454 F1 Table=2 F2 Quality=224 F2 Table=36 F3 Quality=224 F3 Table=36 F4 Quality=454 F4 Table=8

• Thank you my heros :-) you saved me couple nights, as I have already spent last two (I just bought the GH2 and I am new to this hack things :-) ... so I am going to try it all, probably with combination of last bkmcwd natural_v2.0. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2318/official-low-gop-topic-series-5#Item_236

• Duartix: thank you, my questions answered :-( :-( :-( .... first I was so happy to get 2K and mor resolution... but when AVCHD can do better Q image, MJEPG has no usage for me.

• Hey, i run MJPEG ONLY for lapse mode @ 2fps...

any way anyone has an idea to make that look more like 2k???

maybe with less frames can pick up more detail?!!?! thoughts?

• @flaschus:

IMHO if you are doing timelapse you are better served with AVCHD: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2135/gh2-2fps-avchd-timebuster-settings-the-day-is-not-over

not only that but you might as well consider using 2.5fps instead: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2396/gh2-motion-fluidity-360%C2%BA-shutter-test-on-slow-shutter-speeds.

I've got new settings ALMOST ready to release, I just need another night to compute the QP to get 24h.

Now if you want 2K, you best choice will be the 40fps burst mode and an timed remote, unless you can afford to shorten the life of your physical shutter.