Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best Bokeh and Flare
  • I know the the "classic" helios and recently I fell in love with a cheap old Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.8 do you guys have any recommendations for lens with great bokeh and flare?

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Any old Lomo primes. My 28 flares great.

• Go east! They didn't have the coatings used elsewhere for a long time, but the glass is great. So you get sharpness and flares. Try MIR, Tair, Jupiter from Russia or Meyer Goerlitz (e.g. Primoplan) or Zeiss Jena from East Germany. Plus, most of these have more blades than modern lenses. While that doesn't automatically mean better bokeh, the OOF highlights will stay round when stopped down.

• @ nomad thx! got my eyes on KMZ Mir-10 28mm/3.5 for $150 great price and great lens, right?

• A bit pricey, but if it's in excellent condition? Yes, it's a nice lens.

• I have to say, the Bokeh on my Vivitar series 1, 28-90mm is amazing...for $50

• 28mm Lomo f2. Mmmm.

• Jupiter-9 85/2. It has 15 blades!!!!

• anyone to compare jupiter 9 and helios 85mm 1.5? @artiswar was it worthy buying an expensive and chunky adapter?

• Helios 85 is very hard to find in good condition. Plus, wide open it flares a bit too much IMHO and the borders are very soft. I like the Jupiter 9 better and there are plenty of them.

• @ttancredi

Not that much bulkier than an eBay Canon FD adapter. I have the lighter weight one without the rail support. I have the 50 and 135 as well. All of which flare and bokeh very nicely. only issue is the amount you have to rotate the lens to focus is huge. Easy with a follow focus and Cinevate lens gears.

• Please excuse the underexposed, multi-compressed frame grab. MIR-1 'Grand Prix - Brussels 1958'

MIR-1 'Grand Prix - Brussels 1958'.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • Some quick bokeh test GH2 with Helios 77 russian lens. With some surreal stabilization :)

• Anyone tried Jupiter 3 (50mm like jupiter 8 but f1.5)? Don't know how they would compare to jupiter 8 at f2. probably similar. but the option of having some funky soft bokeh at f1.5 may be useful even sometimes. Have seen some nice stills but no videos... experiences?

• @whiterabbit do you have any sampel videos with the mir set at f2.8? Appreciate it!