Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Actual HDD Manufacturer
  • How to determine who actually manufactures a drive? There are all kinds of brand names out there, but my understanding is that there are very few actual manufacturers.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Do you actually mean SSD?

If such - just buy Samsung for main work drives or raw recording. For all else can decide if you need it cheap or fast and get any more or less reputable brand.

As for HDD ity is all too simple, check https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9414/hdd-survival-rates-by-manufacturer/p2

• No. For SSD, I always buy Samsung. I was looking to buy 2 5TB 7200 RPM drives to configure as RAID 0. 7200 RPM will not be as reliable as 5400 RPM, so the base quality of the drive matters. I would prefer not to buy Seagate for reliability reasons. The brands offered at retailers, such as Glyph, Buffalo, or LaCie are obviously made by Seagate or WD. How do I find out which?

• The brands offered at retailers, such as Glyph, Buffalo, or LaCie are obviously made by Seagate or WD. How do I find out which?

You mean external HDD?

Just always buy enclosure and HDD separately, this is all.

You have absolutely no way to tell that drive is used in that exact model, as it can change even from batch to batch.