Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which light meter mode on GH2 and why?
  • I've been keeping my GH2 in spot metering mode. Which mode are you guys using and why?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • You can use any mode if you get exposure you want.
    This is as simple as that.
    Old fasioned people like center weighted because you can better predict its behaviour, normally.
  • It depends. Thanks to having a live view of the exposure, the metering mode doesn't matter for situations where you can control the light and adjust the aperture/shutter speed/ISO to achieve your look. But for those situations where it's run and gun, each mode has its advantages/disadvantages. Spot metering, for example, can be thrown off by an object that is too white (camera will want to make it grey, so you get underexposure) or too black (camera tries to make it grey; you get overexposure) at the metering spot.

I suggest you experiment to see which mode works best for your style of shooting and gives you the result you want. Personally, I tend towards center-weighted, as I have more experience with that from SLRs.

• When using M43 lenses, I often use spot metering and AE lock. Just AE lock, not AF/AE lock. I use it directly on people's face. No I'm not trying to get '0' EV. Sometimes it's better to keep it underexposed.

Just be flexible :)
  • Stonebat, that's usually what I do, I use spot metering and place the crosshairs on the subject's face. I'll give centerweight a try too though.
  • Hello, sry for noob questiong but how to you move the blue spot meter? I can't find the answer anywhere, doesn't say either on the manual :/

• Hi guys, do find that the display is always reliable seeing what I'm filming from exposure point of view? Despite of haveng the camera since two years, maybe I miss some settings... Sometime I see clearly that I'm having the exposure liveview but sometimes the display show a perfect lit image and then palying again I discover that is completely underexposed.

• I frequently switch to spot metering, just to check out how much over/under exposed are some highlight or shadow areas, but generally keep it on center weighted.