Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
A Beautiful Mind
  • While mass media is focused on the funerals of next singer, it is time to look in other direction.

John Nash letters about cryptography, writtent abour 1955 where he talked about foundations of modern methods far ahead of others.
    Reading official answer is also fun.

http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/nash_letters/nash_letters1.pdf

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for this post.

I know zilch about cryptography or pattern finding abilities, but the above link kind of relieved Nash of the weight of Hollywood and Russel Crowe. It restored the man Hollywood, even with good intention, seem to corrupt.

• above link kind of relieved Nash of the weight of Hollywood and Russel Crowe

If you go further and look at his life you'll find that Hollywood did not make anything bad. :-)

• It is kind of humbling to read someone of his intelligence communicating the way he did, fighting schizophrenia, to appeal to someone of lesser knowledge in the matter at hand (I won't call the officials who replied stupid). Hollywood biopics, even when following close to life, imparts colorings that cannot be escaped and it begin with Crowe, however well he may have acted. I watched the movie back when it was released and enjoyed it. May be it was challenging to visualize the book in a way the common man could follow the narrative and still make it watchable. The movie DID succeed in that respect. But no movie could do justice to that hand written letters and the man that come across trying to persuade his ideas with genuine fear it could not be appreciated for what it was. Nash was indeed right on that count.

• I love it! A rejection letter! Good to know I have at least ONE thing in common with genius!

• Brian, ha...Great minds not only think alike, but get treated alike :)

• Game theory was one of the most ill-founded and destructive ideas in human culture.

• @LucasAdamson

I rarely write this. But you are very strange. Really.

• @Vitaliy

Surprising response.

@LucasAdamson

nicely put.

• @mattc

It is not surprising response.
    Calling game theory "destructive idea" is really not smart.
    As well as producing films full of "smart" standard thoughts about freedom.

• @Vitaliy

Surprising because of comments by you regarding elites seeking to turn people into consumers, which occurs based on economic modeling and behavioral game-theory. The movie I did not watch in full. And while game theory is itself not destructive (or creative) it's application has been used to attempt to reduce life to "transactions."

• which occurs based on economic modeling and behavioral game-theory it's application has been used to attempt to reduce life to "transactions."

Weird.
    Sound similar to theories of guys who want to ban nuclear plants and blame physics for nuclear bomb.
    I suggest to get some serious math book about game theory and spend your time understanding it.

• Closed. Will be cleared after short time.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions