Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Normal prime lens for m43 recommendations
  • Ok, I have GH1, Lumix 20mm pancake, Lumix 14-140 and now a 85mm 1.4 Samyang Nikon mount.

Without realizing it, my GH1 had become a video camera as I found myself taking less and less pictures with it. Much as I like the 20mm, I find that I tend to use it much less as I shoot people a lot and it is not the lens for portraits.

I just got the Samyang 85mm last week and suddenly I have re-discovered the joy of shooting the stills. The 85mm is quite a joy for both video and stills and the manual focus is not the trouble I had imagined it to be. So I am looking for add a normal lens (35mm equivalent) may be in the range 35-60mm, preferably in Nikon mount with manual focus and aperture rings. Of course, I don't mind using a m4/3 or a FD lens. I would like to try a macro lens as well, so don't mind if it is macro lens in 50-60mm range. This will be used mainly for portraits, product photography and video.

I have considered the following:

Samyang 35mm 1.4 Nikkor 50mm AIS 1.8 Vivitar 55mm macro FD 50mm 1.2 Lumix Leica Elmarit 45mm 2.8 macro'

Please advise your suggestions. Thank you...

• 26 Replies sorted by
  • In the 35-60mm range, I would consider the Olympus 45mm f1.8

• The Leica 45 has OIS, that's a plus! Had this lens for some time and I liked it very much, unfortunately I dropped the lens and was not repairable.

• Vivitar 55 is super IQ

• My favorite primes are the Zeiss Distagon T in C/Y mount — inexpensive, sharp, etc. The 28/2.8 is one of my favorite lenses. Could be faster though. I haven't used the 35mm, but from what I've read it is quite good too.

• Contax Zeiss c/y 50mm f1.7 - amazing bit of glass. +1 for the Vivitar as an inexpensive macro

• The Samyang 35mm f1.4 in Nikon mount mates well with the 85mm. I use them both on shoulder-mount rigs with follow focus and they are among the most video-friendly lenses I've tried. I reviewed additional lens options here:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/p1

• Thanks for all suggestions and my late reply.

I was trying to decide on the selections

Samyang 35mm

• Very sharp, Aperture ring and dampened focus, Cheaper to similar primes, fast aperture, nice bokeh
    • No AF, No IS, big, Lot of breathing, on expensive side compared to the selection here

Nikon 50mm AIS

• Very good optics, best value for money, fast aperture, nice bokeh
    • No AF, IS

Vivtar 55mm macro

• Very good optics, best value for money, 1:1 Macro
    • Not so fast, extends on focus, no focus delimiter, no AF or IS

Leica Elmarit

• good optics, AF, IS, 1:1 macro, no adapter needed, focus delimiter, small size, internal focus
    • Costliest of the bunch, not fast

As a first buy, I am almost looking at the Nikon AIS 50 1.8 or Vivitar 55mm as they are both ~100 in good condition used. Between this which would you consider aside from one being macro lens for portraits and video?

Among others, I have defintely got eyes for Samyang 35mm. Need to read up on Zeiss Distagon (I do not think I need a 28mm), Contax Zeiss 50/1.7 and Oly 45/1.8.

• A "normal lens" is defined in different ways, one of which has to do with referring to the way an audience member sitting in the middle of a theater views a given focal length.

I think a more useful definition is in reference to the perspective characteristics from the FOV offerred by a lens's focal length. (Roger Deakins also finds this a more useful way of thinking about a normal lens.) Basically, the question is: what focal length renders perspective in a way that most closely matches normal human perception? To my eye, that is in the 24-28mm range, with the 25mm seeming to be the sweet spot. Anything above this range, you are introducing telephoto compression (more flattering for close-ups). So, I would consider a 35mm on the GH2 to be a short-telephoto involving some noticeable compression of perspective.

• Definitely! A 50mm is already a portrait lens (a mild tele) on µFT.

BTW, the 58mm 1.2 Minolta Rokkor is a great portrait lens, if you can get hold of one. Fantastic build quality and great bokeh. Minolta co-operated with Leica for many years…

Another beautiful one is the 35mm 1.8. They are both rare items, but the 35mm will still cost a bit less. The cheaper option is the 58mm 1.4, which can still be found quite cheap and comes close but doesn't have such a beautiful bokeh as the former two.

• Thanks qwerty and nomad. I am aware of the crop factor GH1 brings into the equation, that's why I specifically said 35mm equivalent in the beginning as I find myself shooting mostly 40mm upwards with people.

That 58mm 1.2 Minolta Rokkor looks interesting, but is priced at $600 at eBay.. hmm. What mount are these? Is there a m43 adapter for it?

• Yep, adapters are cheap. The mount is normally called MC / MD.

• As a first buy, I am almost looking at the Nikon AIS 50 1.8 or Vivitar 55mm as they are both ~100 in good condition used. Between this which would you consider aside from one being macro lens for portraits and video?

You already answered your own question on your summary : if you really want macro ability, take the vivitar. But if you want an all around lens, the nikon will be a lot easier to use, and faster.

• Yes, I just got the Vivitar 55mm 2.8 at 85 dollars + plus shipping :) Need to get a FD adapter and I may get that Nikor 50mm 1.8 as well as I already have the Nikon adapter :)

Another lens that piqued my interest was the the one Tesselator recommended here:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/106/lenses-for-canon-fd-mount Tamron SP 28-80mm f/3.5 (27A) Macro & Tamron SP 35-80mm f/2.8 (01A) Macro.

Are they going to bring anything to the table other than being a bit faster and macro compared to the Lumix kit 14-140?

• No idea, but I have a Tamron SP 90mm 2.5 macro and that is a fantastic piece of glass. Very sharp and beautiful Bokeh.

• Samyang 35mm 1.4. Great for both photo and cinema.

• Thanks stonebat. Samyang is on my radar, may be sometime soon.

Just now purchased the Tamron SP 28-80mm f/3.5 (27A) on an impulse for a princely sum of 35 dollars :D. The FD adapter and shipping costs more than the lens :p

• I picked up a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 ($55 shipped) and I love the look and feel of it...also got a Konica 40mm f1.8, which people raved about and I'm a bit disappointed with it....whatever you do, don't get rid of that 14-140mm lens, it is outstanding for video. Here's a little screen shot of a video I did yesterday with the 14-140mm. Was going for a film-like look. The pic is so degraded with my lousy image editing (I don't take many stills), but looked much better on Sony Vegas, lots of interesting bokeh in the background on the original.

arboretum(1).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 253K
  • Thanks bostonmike. You are right about the 14-140. I did not know how much I am used to the 14-140 till I started using the Samyang 85mm for video. I used to pride myself on my ability to take reasonably well made handheld shots at even 140mm end. I got an ego bust when I tried to shoot 85mm hand held. It was shaking a lot and then only I realized how well IS of 14-140 was working for the video. Of course the Samyang feel more heavier with the adapter and that could be another reason.

• You didn't mention budget I love shooting the Leica R 1.4/35mm Summilux with the the GH2 and AF100. I think the Leica R 2.8/24mm Elmarit is a is really nice too although much slower.

• +1 with Nomad on the Rokkor 58 1.2 - built like a tank and beautiful bokeh and colours, Konica 57mm 1.4 and 50 1.4 are nice too, cheap on Fleabay. One of my other faves is the 135 2.8 Pentacon - super bokeh beast with 15 blades.

• Or the Russian Jupiter 9 or a Tair – even more blades…

• ikoniq..thanks. The Leica R 1.4/35 might be an overkill for a hobbyist like me. Rokkor 58 seem like $500+ too ..Need to read about it a bit. 135 2.8 Pentacon looks cheap and nice...reading more about it.. Price seem to be <$100.

• Yeah, but a 135mm is very long on MFT. Didn't you ask for normal? Get the Samyang if you want speed for a decent price.

• True, 135mm is way too tele for GH1. I am almost getting the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS, so may be what is left is a 35mm...and may be a fast tele..but I forgot the topic for a while :)