Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Spanning settings for long multicam interview?
  • Is Cbrandin the only option?

• 26 Replies sorted by
  • Driftwood's Aquamotion v2 will span and looks quite good... if you have large enough cards to cover the entire interview as the bitrate is higher.

• 28-30 minutes is good enough for me. I can cut to roll all cameras again.

• What cards does Aquamotion v2 need?

• Have you tried balazer's Cake 1.0? It's pretty efficient, holds constant quality and for an interview it should be quite frugal.

• NO I have not. Do you have a link?

• I use 30MB/s Sandisk cards with Aquamotion v2 and it spans perfectly.

• @Strangways when you say it spans what mode are we talking about? 24l/h or does it span in 720p/1080i as well for you? i tried few of them including quantum50 (as i needed over 2hrs recorded non stop) and none of them spans for me in 720p/1080i - and it doesnt matter if transcent 16gb cl10, trans 32cl10 nor sandisk 32gb 30MB cards were used. spannig in 1080p24 is a different story - no problems in there at all - think i got over 3hrs continuous in 24h. but had to go back to the original panasonic 1.0 fw with just 30min limit removed in Ptools to get 50i spanning. (based in PAL-land)

• @balazer: Reading a lot more into Cake http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/38562#Comment_38562 and since mine is a 2fps dedicated patch, I should probably boost my frame limits for 24p way higher, don't you think?

• @redpaw I believe spanning only works in 24, and that's the case with most patches. Try looking up Ralph_B's SANITY patch... I know it works well in non-24 modes, but I can't recall if it spans or not.

• @Strangways thanks, yeah will do that... i'm just wondering why is that? it spans fine with waaaay higher bitrates on 24... but anyway... dont want to hijack the thread.

• @redpaw Flow Motion supports file-spanning in 24L, FH, and H video modes in both NTSC and PAL using standard Class 10 SD cards:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2099/gh2-100mbps-flow-motion-patch-v1.0-with-50mbps-file-spanning/p1

• Will test cake and Flow motion tomorrow.

• Thanks @LPowell ! Will take it for a spin ;]

• @Hazna Also, just thought it worth mentioning that for a static interview setup with controlled lighting, you may want to test v1.1. Could be suitable enough and will run 24p/30p/60i etc for long spanned recordings

• v1.1 is the stock?

• Yes, the updated Panny firmware, v1.1 from v1.0. Vitaliy is somewhere along the hacking of this newer firmware, but that is in progress.

v1.1 isn't going to hold a candle to some of the stuff @Driftwood, @LPowell, @bkmwd or a number of others users have cooked up, but it will shoot 30p or 25p (depending on your body) and will span for long recordings.

• ... unless you are in PAL land in which case you'll be limited to 30min clips.

• driftwood's Quantum 100 is excellent for doc, events, & interviews. I have not tried it on slower cards, but it spans on SanDisk SDXC 95Mb/s cards and is an excellent compromise between best quality and recording time.

• @Hazna Personally, I would recommend @proaudio4's suggestion for Quantum 100 if you can afford the Sandisk 64GB 95Mb/s cards. It is well worth shelling out $200 for what it makes an inexpensive camera like this able to do in concert with the incredible patches from users here. Really amazing in the large scheme, no matter what budget one is shooting. Cake or Flow-motion would have long recording rates, too, and I've used Aquamotion v2 with the cards previously mentioned for long recordings.

• I've had no problem getting quantum 100 to span on sandisk extreme 30mbps cards during static interview setups. Get around 40 minutes of record time.

• I find this topic incredibly relevant but most everyone seems to be posting patches with very high bitrates. I have nothing but 16gb cards, and my goal is to get around an hour out of each of them. Cbrandin's basic patch has done the trick for me in terms of 1080/24p but I am looking for something that will handle 720/60p decently as well. My use is to shoot documentaries and concerts. Can anyone recommend a patch that would be an increase over stock 1080/24 and 720/60, but not with high bitrates?

Note: I am currently trying out Quantum50 and so far it seems to be very reasonable. Haven't pixel peeped it to see if Cbrandin's 44m patch is better/worse. Please post or PM if you have any thoughts today (Saturday). I leave in the morning!

• Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I Card Hi-Speed 633X 95MB/s this card i am going to buy tonight,...do it span and work well with quantum v9b?

• Look @ 64gb sdxc topic....

• oh i know i am just asking a doubt,..he he