Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Any before and after sample video (gh2)
  • Does anyone have, or has anyone seen posted, some before-hack and after-hack videos samples. I've found many video samples with hacks installed but none with any "before hack" comparison videos.

I'm a noob, however I have managed to download and install a couple of different hacked firmware versions. Other than 4x larger file sizes, I didn't see dramatic changes, however I'm not a trained eye I'm not completely sure what my expectations are supposed to be?

Thank you

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • dhood, You just answered your own question, if you can not see the difference, or do not know how the improvement in higher bitrate (less compression) can help, go back to stock.

You only need to satisfy yourself, if you can not see a difference, than remove it to save file space as you mentioned.

Face it, if the overall image quality of the GH2 was not any good, Vitaliy would have never implemented the hack in the first place. Perform your own tests and particularly look at fine detail especially in low light.

• I'm just trying to get educated. Everyone has to start somewhere.

• There are before and after videos floating around on youtube, vimeo, this forum and elsewhere. One of easiest to spot differences if you want to test yourself is when filming fences, telephone wires, vertical fences where the bars are close together etc etc.. without the hack their will be a wiggle/jello look, with the hack it is either gone or greatly diminished. Also be sure you are viewing on your PC after uploading it, not just running the cable to the TV, also a big difference. I do have to say though, you probably didn't look to hard for comparison videos. Just type "GH2 Hacked VS". Good luck.

• Thanks for the insight. The clips I took I was only looking at the static in-studio scene. I'll do some more testing with motion. Thanks.

I did find lots of hacked videos compared to 60d, 7d, GH1, RED, nikon, etc. just not any comparing the same scene with a non-hacked GH2, like a before and after type shot.

• Try thys links for example:

But remember it is difficult to see on uploaded footage big differences. It´s better a confrontation on a big fullHd TV..

• Apply strong levels or curves on your footage. This will make it much clearer, the hacked footage still suffers a little from compression artefacts, but they are way, way smaller in size and strenght than the unhacked. This leaves you much more freedom in post. If you do not plan to grade your footage I would go with something like driftwoods spanmybitchup (66 Mbit), its good quality and motion rendering and the files don´t get much to large.

• For videos going to the web only, any version of the gh2 will give you beautiful looking images..

For good movement rendition and fine noise grain and minimal macroblocking - it is a good idea to look into low gop patches. However, if you plan to make non-commercial small videos to put online then you are better off using factory settings, or a moderate patch which will save space (in comparison to low gop patches) but give nicer grain to your footage and very high detail..

• @dhood You have asked a valid beginner question. If it doesn't have its own topic it probably deserves one. Personal-view mostly manages to cut to the chase with direct replies. @Kihlian Thanks

• Here's a low light, side by side comparison of Terraquake on the left and Factory settings on the right....I think I need to tweak the ISO on the hack version or something since the light looks a little blown out. I'm going to play around and try some other hacks like Aquamotion v2 next. I use a Panasonic 16GB read 90 write 25 class 10 card (about $50 at B&H). I did have some trouble installing the patch and had to change the increment to 2. Thanks Driftwood for the patch.

• @bostonmike Wow, even on my crummy worn out macbook, the difference is huge.