Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Stills side of the Hacked GH1
  • Totally Noob with GH1, i am a former EOS citizen changing camps here so please be kind.
    i just received my new GH1 haven't even opened the box yet. this is the first of three other GH1 and eventually GH2 i am going to get and hack as soon as the GH2 hack will be available.
    i shoot a lot of stills on the same camera and lens along side of the video footage to be used in the edits later. My questions is; how the hack will effect the stills side of the GH1 / GH2 ? Can i use a hacked GH1 for shooting stills as it was prior to the hack ?
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • As far as I know there is no change for the stills side from installing a hack, all your still settings are the same as the pre hack as found in the manual.
  • Yep, no change at all, other than being able to use non-proprietary batteries haha.
  • I wish there is hack to allow auto ISO to go higher than 400 for still and 1600 for video.

PS. I am in Toronto too.
  • >I wish there is hack to allow auto ISO to go higher than 400 for still and 1600 for video.

I plan to make ISO higher for video.
    Do not know about Auto ISO.
  • Can u make GH1 stop focusing continuously for AF-S during video capturing? Very annoying... I gotta hold shutter button to lock it.

Also would it be possible to use MF on m43 lenses when AF-S or AF-C is on without holding shutter button? It would be nice to do fast AF then do immediate MF by turing the ring cuz I don't have 3rd arm. Right hand gotta hold a rig.
  • Page 52 of the owners manual-AF-S is single auto-focus. One half press of shutter button, camera focuses once, and stops. AF-C is continuous, you half-press the shutter button, and hold it, while filming, and it will continuously re-focus.
    I have not seen it automatically focus in Creative Movie mode-manual, yet, using the AFC function. I think you still need to hold down the shutter button half-way.
    But, I just tried it in the backyard, with an f/8 aperture, and did some slow pans in AFC with the shutter button pressed, and it slowly and continuously tried to re-focus.

However, I still have no clue if it's possible to have it lock that way. would be nice.
    I have no ability to manual focus in either of the AF modes-which kinda sucks. Only way is to set in manual, focus/blur, start the shot, then either re-focus manually, or just switch to AFC-the camera will re-focus automatically.
  • Auto ISO can be heightened - go into a still photo mode, change the ISO limit in the photo menu to 1600, and there you go.
  • The key is that inteligent ISO will typically use no more than ISO 400. Auto ISO is the one that will go as high as ISO 1600 on the GH1 and ISO 3200 on the GH2. Hopefully, Vitaliy can get it to go up to ISO 6400 on the GH2. It is usable up to that limit on the GH2. ISO 1600 for stills on the GH1 sounds about right.
  • GH1 can go to 3200 in stills, 1600 in video (although you can trick it into 3200, I've done it). However, even on newer bodies, the image looks hideous at ISO 3200.