Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Prediction: 1DX I-frame mode stomps all over C300
  • I have a feeling I-frame mode will have higher image quality than C300.

Anyone else?
  • 19 Replies sorted by
  • @bannedindv My guess is it will not. Canon already said it doesn't produce clean HDMI output, and the noise will not have "cinematic grain structure" similar to C300.

Likelwise, good luck doing a Timelapse with a C300, the 1DX is far superior at that even at only 18MP...

you'll need both for a complete set...
  • I do. I predicted this before...

The 4:2:2 50mb/s codec is a nice codec... but there is just no way it's going to be more flexible than 300mb/s all-I. 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 is only the color sampling used, I don't think it really dictates how much you can push the footage in post from the original recording.

Also, the 1Dx has the latest DigicV processors, has the BEST of Canon's noise reduction technology, and is doing a full image down sample. The C300 is just a XF cam with a large sensor and a cruddy old DigicIII. I don't think the motion, detail, or noise is going to be anything close to the 1Dx. Canon will downplay this though.

IMO, the C300s shouldn't even exist. The technology is just too far behind cameras like the 1Dx and the next gen DSLRs. They should have just given the 1Dx HDMI out and stuck to 1/3" event/interview cameras for their "video camera" line.
  • C300 is like a 3CCD sensor. One pixel for each colour. However the 1D X can compete with that if the scaling is done intelligently. It all depends on how much Canon decided to push video quality with DIGIC 5. Push too far and you are really compromising your profit margin on higher end models because people will less likely buy them. That the DSLR and video folk at Canon joined together to make the C300 means the divisions are less autonomous than before, so expect to see some crippling!
  • I have other prediction.
    Most people will contine to make predictions about 1DX, but almost none of them will actually buy one.
    So, this predictions really have zero value.
  • >C300 is like a 3CCD sensor. One pixel for each colour.

Both things you told are not correct.
    First, it is not 3CCD, because it is no CCD, and it also not using prism to split colors.
    Also. To make proper color value such simple algorithms as combining values only from 2 green, 1 blue and 1 red pixels, are normally not used. Some interpolation is always used to improve results.
  • From Vitaliy:
    "Most people will contine to make predictions about 1DX, but almost none of them will actually buy one."

This I agree with.

"So, this predictions really have zero value."

This I don't agree with - analyzing technology as it intersects with the tools we use to create art is fun and can add to our knowledge of the craft. I could just ignore all of it, since GH2 is IMO the best sub $10,000 camera right now thanks to your hack.

How many people would pay for a handgrip style module or upgrade to the 1DX that adds better codec, hd-Sdi and XLR's? I'd venture more than will buy a C300. Basically I think c300 sucks after holding one at the Canon event.
  • @bannedindv

I think we must move forward.
    No back.
    And all this endless camera comparisons and stuff, this is going backwards.
  • Vitaliy:
    "I have other prediction.
    Most people will contine to make predictions about 1DX, but almost none of them will actually buy one.
    So, this predictions really have zero value."

LOL... how true!
  • I really like this cam and its form-factor but there's no way i can buy it. To me, no matter what the specs say and analyzation (which i appreciate), if you can't get beautiful footage with this, there is something wrong with the user. I checked it out recently. Here are a few pics.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/21315380_RP8RFv#!i=1697426954&k=mGmhRfb

• "I have other prediction. Most people will contine to make predictions about 1DX, but almost none of them will actually buy one. So, this predictions really have zero value. " <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Golden. Statements like this have made you a legend and folk hero...

• @pvjames Yow, the C300 in that photo really looks ugly mounted on that stark white Canon telephoto lens! Of course, it's the images rather than the camera we should be looking at, but still...

• @LPowell....yeah, i like it the most for its size and weight. It seems like a cam that would feel like a natural extension or 3rd arm. This cam is just their 'intro' into the Cinema market. If Nikon already is prepping consumer 4K cams, this will have a shortlife. But i'll never pay Canon's price but appreciate the engineering/design behind it.

• I find the topic of this post, re: stomping all over, absolutely ridiculous.

Is this because you cannot afford what you really want or because you have no knowledge of Canon sensor technology?

Please just shoot with what you have right now and stop getting sidetracked with all the nonsensical hype.

• Oh please...

• Believe me, it has nothing to do with what I can afford. I have over $80k in camera gear. All of which is making me money.

But since you guys bumped the post back from the grave - ill re-posit the thought.

5DMK3 in I-frame mode vs C300 with onboard recording mode?

What will produce a more pleasing image to the trained or untrained eye?

Now mix in a gh2 with driftwood:Orion...

Comments?

• gh2 orion makes most pleasing image to my eye because I can actually afford it and thus can actually see it.

• gh2 orion makes most pleasing image to my eye because I can actually afford it and thus can actually see it.

this is the right mood!

• The reality is only one, at the moment nobody have do a correct comparison btw C300 and 1DX! I sell my C300 becouse for me not have the correct ergonomy, the image are really sharp, true 1080, but very difficult to use in handheld use. The 1DX is more simple i think in run and shot situations and i also hope that the sensor and technologies, same as 1DC, can give more plesure maybe with one new fw ML. When i receive mine i will do a little comparision btw c300 and 1DX to see the different on street and not on papier!