Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
On JPEG and HEVC
  • The upcoming video compression standard HEVC has been compared to existing and well established compression algorithms JPEG and JPEG 2000. The subjective evaluations were conducted according the guidelines defined by the JPEG committee for the evaluation of JPEG XR. The obtained results, including detailed statistical analysis allowing the accurate comparison of the various codecs performance, are presented and discussed in details. The evaluation results demonstrate that HEVC intra coding outperforms encoders for still images with an average bit rate reduction ranging from 16% (compared to JPEG 2000 4:4:4) up to 43% (compared to JPEG). These findings imply that both still images and moving pictures can be efficiently compressed by the same encoder, i.e., HEVC, and therefore specialized still image compression encoders may be becoming redundant, at least if judged by compression efficiency criteria only.

From https://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/182874/files/VPQM2013.pdf

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Time to move to HEVC.

• Thanks VK. I appreciate this post. I'm currently working on 4K compression at work and this a great help to show HEVC in comparison to other codecs. We are in the middle of a big debate about the future of XAVC, JPEG and HEVC. Thanks again

• @Volt

Note that it is 2013 paper and only about intraframe mode.

XAVC is really H.264 with small tunings, JPEG is outdated anyway.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks. I missed the date but it was still a good read. And yes JPEG is outdated but it's still used everyday in broadcast. How do you see 265 in HEVC vs 264 in XAVC Class 480?

• Topic about normal HEVC

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3306/h.265-hevc-topic.-same-quality-half-file-size./p5

At 480Mbit you have advantages being smaller, but still present.