Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
3D: LG and Sony stopping 3D TV production
  • LG and Sony, the last two major TV makers to support the 3D feature in their TVs, will stop doing so in 2017. None of their sets, not even high-end models such as their new OLED TVs, will be able to show 3D movies and TV shows

Sharp, TCL and Hisense, also did not announce any 3D-capable TVs at CES 2017.

I have only one word for them. Motherfuckers.

Note that passive 3D fall is closely related to HDR, as polarization film take off brightness and also add costs. At same time quantum dots and HDR are very cheap to make.

For all active 3D television with removal of 3D Samsung changed panels to cheaper and slower ones, adding good profit.

Remember to buy 4K OLED with passive 3D, looks amazing.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I just bought myself a LG OLED 55 with 3d. On my beloved Panasonic Plasma 3D looked bad, now 3D is awesome. But it's the end...so sad. 3D has so much potential. Especially on these new displays.

• It has nothing to do with potential. All of this happened due to profits and greed. Greed of most companies who tried to price 3D Blu-Rays at premium and another companies made same with TVs initially. Later TV 3D margins fall and it become not interesting for companies, and also not interesting to people in countries who do not use torrents in full.