Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Topic on Director's Viewfinders
  • Director's Viewfinders can be very helpful on a shoot or preplanning to see what different focal lengths look like for a particular framing without having to actually change lenses (especially useful if you are shooting with primes). So, let's start a topic to discuss and recommend some!
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • Discounted Panasonic TZ10? :-)
    I think any cheap ultrazoom with 24-25mm wide end will do.
  • Compact camera won't give you:
    - Equivalent focal length
    - 2.35 aspect

Well, easily anyway. Opteka do a cheap small viewfinder for about $99.
  • What about a GF-3 and you use either a zoom, or the actual lens you will be using. Small, wide screen, you can even take a picture and show it to your cam operator.
  • Compact camera won't give you:
    > - Equivalent focal length

They have indicator of focal length.
    It takes very little time to learn focal length from it :-)

> - 2.35 aspect

I really do not care about this specifically.
    They have 16:9 and 4:3 this is all I need.
    But use sticky tape if you need 2.35.
  • Compact camera solutions aren't ideal for a number of reasons.

Among other advantages, I believe some director's viewfinders allow you to see focal lengths for different sensor sizes (film sizes). I know there's the Artemis App, but I don't want to rely on my phone's camera....

@itimjim have you tried Opteka or any other viewfinders?
  • @qwerty123 I've only tried out the Opteka Micro at a store in London. The view was a bit too tiny for my liking. The standard size one is probably a lot better, but I've not tried it. I'm a fan of directors viewfinders though, and while I appreciate the use of a compact as a previsualisation tool, I think they can be a bit limited, even though they have some advantages.