Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best Old Lumix Hack cams with PAL / NTSC capability?
  • Hello niche pros. =) I'm looking to purchase some old Lumix cameras because I have ton of MFT lenses. I'm only interested in creating interviews in multiple angles. Since I will be traveling back and forth I need it to be 25 and 30p.

So I need to be able to hack new firmwares so that I can surpass 30min as well.

Which Lumix models do you recommend? Nothing fancy, but the best option with pricing. I will purchase 3. Thanks buddies.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • I can sell you my GH2, but you'd be better off with a G7 or GX85, or a GH4 if you don't want to fuss with the framerates as much.

• Best option with pricing? Panasonic GH1. Of course if you can spend more for GH2... it is worthwhile. (ditto each step up)

• thanks, but I'm not interested in 4K, nor is my client. It is for a 3-6 month project. I don't want to spend more than $100 per camera as I need 3 of them for multiple angles. I just need 25p and 30p capability. Or worst case scenario, just NTSC will do. Most is for web publishing anyways, so region wide 30p will do fine any part of the world. So, which is the least expensive Lumix camera that is hackable? I remember seeing Lumix cams at Adorama, used, for about 75 bucks. I just don't remember the price.

• I've bought a GF3 100€ in 2013 (sales on the french pana website)

• thank you zsound, so the GF3 is a better choice than the GF2?

• If you had a couple of people with cellphones you could film the whole thing in 4K.

• hi DrDave, I'm actually modding some anamorphic lenses for a 10 cellphone project so that I can shoot cats and fulfill my dreams!

• For your criterias, GH2. Much better quality than GF2/GF3 and GH2 is so cheap these days.