Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Tale of a little Pond - shot on GH2
  • This is a film about a little pond close to my house, which comes along my way almost everyday when I am taking an afternoon hike with my family. It were actually my kids who got me to have a closer look, as they always want to stop by the pond and watch the many things going on in and around it.

I was amazed by what I saw. Hence, I started to take the camera with me and took some footage. It turned into sort of an obsession over 4 years, and I had to overcome many obstacles on the way.

Apart from technical challenges which are described further down below, I was struggling a lot at the end with the storyline, which became part of the reason why it took 4 years eventually to finish this off. Year after year I did not see the ends coming together – but finally I was able to record the missing pieces to formulate a story.

This is sort of a film for children (some of them grown up like me ;-)) - I hope you like it and your children too!

Filmmaking is always a collaborative effort, so I was very happy when my brother Stefan Machu (stefan.machu@chello.at, a studied audio engineer) offered to do the sound design. It is a mix of natural sounds recorded at the pond (Zoom H2 and Sennheiser MKE 400) and foley, and I was amazed to see how he produced all of the foley sounds on his own (using a Rode NTG3 and a ZOOM H6 recorder).

Around the same time Krystian Shek (info@utcwired.net) got in contact with me, and he offered to do the original score for the film – we had collaborated earlier already (see e.g. Stopover Bangkok or The travel diaries II here on vimeo) – and I am very happy with the way it finally came out. I strongly recommend to have a look at his music on itunes or utcmusic.de

Finally, I have to mention Peter Baker as well who did the voiceover (mail@peterbakervoiceover.com, peterbakervoiceover.com) for this film. Also with him I already have a long standing collaboration (see e.g. Oh Angkor or The Bali Experience here on vimeo), and he is a professional in every way.

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/gunmac

Now, to some of the technical details: a major challenge for example was to get as close as possible to the little heroes of this film, which were retracting to the middle of the pond obviously whenever I tried to get up close. Hence, I used the telezoom mode of the Lumix GH2 a lot which uses a centercrop of the sensor to give an effective 5.2 crop factor. Coupled with a Tokina 60-300mm Zoom lens and a 2x teleconverter I got an effective (5.2x300x2 = ) 3120mm focal lenght which got me close enough. But have you tried once to frame your target with such a focal length, not to mention that the slightest camera shake would turn footage unusable quickly? Therefore in addition I built a custom 5m crane which allowed me to put a GoPro in the middle of the action. The telezoom crop also came in handy when using a 50mm Canon FD macro lens, turning it into a 260mm macro effectively. By using 25mm extender rings I was able to put objects right in front of the lens for amazing close ups.

Let me know if you like it!

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • Very nice. A lot of great shots here. Narration and final product came together nicely. Well done.

• Thanks Matt for your comment, very motivating for me!

• impressive as a whole, and very effective use of the etc function :) could have done without the music though.

• @kritzresn thanks for your comment, interesting to hear about the music. I was initially thinking to do a sound - only version of it, but abandoned it. Maybe I will revisit this!

• @GMC awesome job. Very nice camera work. It shows what this old camera is still capable of and that creativity and talent can compensate for older equipment. It's also a message to those who transfer their creative conflicts to the technology level instead of overcoming the real struggles. Chapeau!!

• @mirrorkisser thanks for your comment, it is very true that we all (including me) tend to fall into the technology trap instead of just using what we have - since cameras like the GH2 came to the market, there is very little excuse anyways ...

• @GMC I really liked it. Great camera work and I do believe technology trap is an addiction that we give in to easily. /The proud owner of GH2 ;-)

• @Tommyboy - thanks for your feedback. Yes, I am also a proud GH2 owner (hacked of course) ...

• Amazing! Great sound fx and music aswell.

• Thank you @dlzn!

• Nice little mix in of using GoPros as well!

• @IronFilm, yes, I thought it would add to the story to also be underwater - also for the tadpoles of course.