Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Knee injuries often don’t heal
  • If you fall on the ski slopes or slip on a patch of ice, you’ll probably be better off if you break your leg than if you rip the cartilage in your knee. Unlike bones, your cartilage is never going regrow or heal, according to a new study based in part on fallout from past nuclear explosions.

“The surgeons who do joint replacements should not be afraid,” says study co-author and rheumatologist Michael Kjær of the University of Copenhagen. “They are going to be in business for some time.”

As plenty of athletes and weekend warriors can attest, damaged knee cartilage is reluctant to mend. But because measuring cartilage turnover is difficult, researchers have never been sure whether adults replace any of the material.

In some previous studies, scientists saw an increase in collagen synthesis in patients with osteoarthritis, which could represent the joint’s attempt to repair itself. But Kjær’s team didn’t detect this effect.

Although researchers have tried several approaches to induce regrowth of knee cartilage, such as inserting stem cells or slivers of healthy cartilage into the joint, they haven’t worked.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/07/why-knee-injuries-often-don-t-heal

Quite actual to bikers and such.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I can attest to this! Mountain biking with fixed clips has wreaked havoc on my knees, whereas running for many years didn't bother me at all. Switching to Speedplay Frog bike clips (featuring 20-degrees of lateral motion) has helped quite a lot.

• Small note - running if you run with wrong sneakers and especially if you have extra weight can be very bad to knees. Bike even with usual pedals can also make fast damage if you do not drink properly, do not warm up, etc

• I tore my meniscus last summer, pain still lingers, shooting is a pain sometimes lol

• Best sports if you just want to keep fit is swimming – least load on any joints.