Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Seagate 10TB drives

Barracuda Pro will cost $535

Models

Performance

img906.jpg
    556 x 485 - 29K
    img905.jpg
    425 x 379 - 47K
    img907.jpg
    800 x 394 - 51K
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • At $300 I would buy a dozen.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev the link is dead!? " Page Not Found"

• Yes, of course, as time passed and deal ended.

• You can get 8TB for $200 from time to time, but every time I've seen it, it was already in an enclosure. For some reason, I often see HDD in enclosures being cheaper than retail packages that only have the HDD - why is that? Very strange, because it should be cheaper without the enclosure. That only shows you how much profit there is in HDD, that they sell them profitably including enclosure.

Meanwhile I've wanted to buy 4 of the 4TB drives for a RAID solution, and I wanted to buy them for $100 each, so $400 total. I have been looking for a long time, and I have NEVER seen a 4TB drive for $100 - but I have seen them for $100 or even less (like $90) when they are already in an enclosure. But I want just the HDD, so I can use them in RAID (and btw. not all HDD are suitable for RAID, because of stupid things like "green" power handling). It looks like there are not many HDD makers anymore, and so they have a kind of lock on the market, and for years now, the price is not going down for 4TB drives.

Anyway, it looks like give it a few more years, and all you are going to be left with is Seagate and WD - Seagate already bought HGST, soon Toshiba will get out of the business of HDD, and probably Samsung. And when that happens, with only Seagate and WD, you'll probably never see prices go down - maybe only go up. Bad for me, because I prefer to buy HGST or Toshiba HDD because I have very bad luck with Seagate - I had 5 different Seagate drives die on me over the years... also don't like WD drives because of their power handling and poor compatibility with Mac OS.

When I see a bad situation like that, high prices for gear that is not due to technical issues, but only due to market power, I am really glad to have the Chinese. Right now, the Chinese quality can be hit or miss, but their quality is getting better and soon will be equal (same thing happened with Japanese - from poor and cheap quality to top quality). So my hope is that the Chinese will get into the storage business and kick Seagate to the curb. The HDD market really needs some competition. Unfortunately, this will probably not happen for many years. We'll see!

• You can get 8TB for $200 from time to time, but every time I've seen it, it was already in an enclosure. For some reason, I often see HDD in enclosures being cheaper than retail packages that only have the HDD - why is that? Very strange, because it should be cheaper without the enclosure. That only shows you how much profit there is in HDD, that they sell them profitably including enclosure.

This is because distribution and selling agents for OEM drives and enclosure are different.

Frequently en enclosure drives are considering usual consumer product and big store can provide good discount. They usually rarely do it with bare drives as it is considered for advanced users or gamers. Enclosure models are also updated much more frequent and some discounts is just to clear old stock.

And yes, HDD companies are long time monopolies getting very good margins. They main income now is from datacenters, playstations/xbox and notebook drives. All of them are sold at completely different terms. Tthey try to compensate on retail.

P.S. Almost all drives work perfect as you remove them from enclosure. Some exceptions have controller on main HDD board.