Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Windows 7 cursor on black screen
  • It is very common and wide known error, can be caused by multiple things, yet most probable cause is not very easy to find, most probably you will find some tip on how to make system restore or reinstall whole OS.

In short - upon reboot you see black screen and mouse cursor. You can even get to control panel using sticky keyboard feature (multiple Shift presses and clicking later on Control Panel path), run Explorer and such.

Most fun thing what most frequently it can be not related to your computer, at all. If you have network mapped drives it is enough for computer who provide them to have some issues, usually it means what Windows is able to find it on network, but is unable to communicate with it properly. If such case happens Windows wait for up to 7 minutes before giving up on attaching network drives.

How to find if this is the case, and not some other stuff? Check both Safe mode and Safe mode with network drivers enabled, if first load perfect and second has same issues - it usually means issue with network drives.

Check in more detail - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2012/07/01/the-case-of-the-veeerrry-slow-logons/

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Did you ever see the Apple commercial back around 1994? The guy has the Windows Resource Guide in front of him and reads, "Floppy disk won't work". I had my own copy of the WRG and used it constantly with my IT customers. I have not messed with Windows for more than five years now - it's like a bad relationship that you once had and look back on with relief.

• Please, not again, not Mac.