Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Making Slow Motion
  • I been looking up on how to create real Hollywood slow motion video when using much higher bit rates. Firstly editing video with the new higher bit rate video makes editing so much more quicker and better, because the software decoder in Premier CS5 or any other doesn't have to decode as must compressed information.

Great, now we can make video edits and quality playback similar to you get on HDTV, so how do you create that nice Hollywood slow motion. 1 program is Twixtor, which seems to be the best but for me it just takes soooooo long to render and in the end you get slow playback but some jagged objects as the Twixtor trys to compensate for the extra frames it put in. I started this topic because there is so much on you-tube but no real answer.
  • 10 Replies sorted by
  • I've not done much, but what small experience I've had with twixtor-type programs would indicate that shooting at a high shutter speed helps a lot. also, shoot at the highest progressive fps possible (not actually sure what this is on GH2, I'm a 24p man myself)
  • If you want real Hollywood slow motion, rent a Phantom ;)

You're not going to do better than Twixtor, a clean contrasty background, 720p60 and fast shutter speeds on the GH2.
  • Renting a Phantom in Australia means getting the operator as well... which is about 9-10 GH2 worth of cash.
    + if you are filming inside (don't). Otherwise at 1/1000 sec shutter you will need 20k + rental of lights...

Besides - slow motion is so 2011! :-P
  • How slow do you want? 720p 60fps conformed to 24fps is usually enough for commercial/music video speed slomotion. Twixtor and careful planning for everything else. You can't get too many things moving in-front of each other with twixtor.
  • MVTools 2 is comparable to the standard version Twixtor (sometimes better, sometimes worse) though it doesn't have the features of Twixtor Advanced. It is also typically quicker to render. So if all you want is slow motion post-processing, that's another good way to go and it's free (just a bit harder to learn). The main thing you give up, is the easy timeline method of changing playback rate by rendering extra frames (which Twixtor supports).

Getting back to shooting, these programs all have a much easier time with a narrow shutter and higher fps. Honestly, you'll get better results slow-mo processing 720 60P at 1/4000 than 1080 24P at 1/4000. That means that getting 240 fps out of 60 fps is easier than getting 96 fps out of 24 fps, because it has to do with the clarity of the original image and the difference between the two.

@B3Guy already touched on the issue of shutter speed, but let me mention something I find helpful. Apply the 180 degree rule to the frame rate you want to have AFTER you process the footage. So if you want 240 fps, you should be shooting with a shutter speed of 1/480 or less (1/500 being the closest on the GH2). Even if you are using 24H 1080 24P instead of SH 720 60P mode, still apply this.

Pixel motion software like Twixtor and MVTools 2 do better with objects that move less from frame to frame than ones with large movement, so this into account as well. If you need large movement, you'll generally have to avoid processing with pixel motion software and rely on the frames shot.

If you are shooting rushing water, specifically, 1/500 (there's that number again) should be the slowest shutter speed you use (at least that's been the case every time I've shot). 1/250 and slower than that is MUCH more difficult to process for MVTools 2 and Twixtor.

Another trick, in terms of dealing with things moving quickly, is to shoot wider or from further back. That way the motion goes across fewer pixels and is easier for the algorithm to track.

I spent 200 clips comparing different settings, lenses, positions, frame rates, etc. on water specifically recently and everything I'm saying held up through that experience (and some of it originated there). If your own experience diverges, please let me know because I'm always happy to test and verify such things. :)
  • Thanks all & thepalalias, I am not got that experience with slow motion software or getting it slow motion for the matter. I use Premier CS5 a lot for most of my editing but Twixtor is best in after effects. Which I hate because I find its interface to be very un-logical. Most of the time I just want too see how cool the effects can be so I never plan it in advance at the time because most of the time there is no time to mess around with the camera settings. I will try MVTOOL 2 and see if it works better for me.

I know from experience if you dont have a powerful computer and rack mounted Processors it take you all day to render HD footage. I have a Core i7 laptop with 8 GB ram and a Solid State Disk but still takes a while to get it all done.
  • Well, you don't need to rent a Phantom any more for most purposes, if an EPIC goes to 300 fps in 2K.

But if you need artificial slo-mo, everything thepalalias wrote is identical with my experiences (lots of dance theatre). No spontaneous after-the-fact slo-mo in good quality, sorry.
  • @nomad, to be honest it a bit too much work too invest any more effort, I had a go at Twixtor and its too slow and you have to do a lot of messing around. As for After Effects I don't how they made Avatar with it as its so technical its just silly. Don't answer that question by the way, I know it be a long 12 page answer LOL
  • An interesting way of research can be the 72 real fps (3*24fps) achieved by mpgxsvcd settings (see page 1 of "PTool v3.63d topic").

"72 FPS works. It indicates it is 72 FPS and it looks like 72 FPS. Not sure if 72 FPS is a good thing or not though? It looks weird and 1/160 of a second shutter speed looks bad with the lights I have near me. Trying 120 FPS now."

@mpgxsvcd : Hi! What settings have you use for reach this result?

ps: excuse my poor english ^^
  • When you using Twixtor you can try shooting Green screen or doing Luma key to create alpha channel, so you can eliminate artefacts from the Bg.
    This projects was done with luma key and semi transparent background.
    Another good tip is, that you can always pre-compose your twixtored footage and apply another twixtor on it!