Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
NeatVideo target for create denoise presets and profiles
  • This target was developed to find the highest amount of noise for a given ISO. It uses shades of grey varying 8 units each.

Print the target in greyscale with high dpi printer in A4 or similar paper sheet, and fix it in the wall. I used day light from a window, but I think other lights can be used also.

Point camera to target, Set the iso and do the white balance in the target, record out of focus video in exposures -1, -1 1/3, -1 2/3, -2, the highest amount of noise will be in one of these exposures. For GH2 -1 1/3 was the highest noise, for NEX-5N -1 2/3 was the highest amount of noise.

import the video to timeline and set the neatvideo square in each shade of grey in each exposure to find which one has the highest amount of noise for each ISO (for each area neatvideo will show the amount of noise), then click in auto-profile and auto fine-tune, then save the profile.

to create the presets (noise filter settings), you can see the NEX-5N and GH2 presets that I uploaded to understand what to do for your camera in each ISO.

Enjoy!

neatvideo_target.jpg
    3508 x 2480 - 113K
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • Another important tip: the noise profile must be created in the i frame, because the noise is higher in the i frame compared to the p and b frames. It is easy to see this navigating step by step in timeline.

• Why not use the chart provided by NeatVideo itselfe? Maybe they know how the get the best results with there software;-)

• I developed this target using small variations in the grey, 8 units each, and this helps to find the highest amount of noise.

I think the neatvideo target can have similar results because it also uses variations in grey.

• And there is also a colour chart from NeatVideo to pin down the colour noise as well.

• I did not use the color target. The color noise is easy to remove increasing the color noise amount in the preset and it does not hurt saturation. Also the grey target shows chroma noise when the sensor have it, more easy to see in high iso. My goal with this target was to find a way to get the best possible denoise for a given iso, so using small variations in grey and record 1/3 variations in exposure was the way to find the highest amount of noise and the most accurate noise pattern for each iso.

This way to create the noise profile works so good in neatvideo 4 delivering a clean image from GH1 in iso 3200, one of the most ugly noise I saw.

Maybe the color chart can eliminate the vertical strip pattern from the GH1 sensor? I dont know... this pattern is made of green and pink lines stripes in vertical direction which are more noticeable when iso increases. In the noise presets and profiles that i developed for GH1 this was the only problem that was not solved completely, it was minimized but not solved. It seems neatvideo consider these stripes as image color and not noise. Will the color target makes neatvideo interpret these stripes as noise? Needs tests...

• Thanks for the post!