Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Capitalism: Cargo Cult and Smart Books
  • After World War II anthropologists discovered that an unusual religion had developed among the islanders of the South Pacific. It was oriented around the concept of cargo which the islanders perceived as the source of the wealth and power of the Europeans and Americans. This religion, known as the Cargo Cult, held that if the proper ceremonies were performed shipments of riches would be sent from some heavenly place. It was all very logical to the islanders. The islanders saw that they worked hard but were poor whereas the Europeans and Americans did not work but instead wrote things down on paper and in due time a shipment of wonderful things would arrive.

The Cargo Cult members built replicas of airports and airplanes out of twigs and branches and made the sounds associated with airplanes to try to activate the shipment of cargo.

Although the existence of the Cargo Cult only became known after World War II the cult had developed long before, when the Europeans first arrived in the area in ships.

It is very interesting that same logic lies in the head of the people who buy millions of books with biographies of millionaires and billionaires, as well as books with "smart advice" on how to become one yourself.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • its like:

• can you learn me how to make money in the internet?
    • yes sure, give me 10 dollars and i teach you.
    • ok, here is your 10 dollars, now tell me how to earn money in the internet!
    • that's the way to earn :)
  • Biographies are but the clothes and buttons of the man. The biography of the man himself cannot be written.

Mark Twain