Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Intel: Future CPUs will be more power efficient, but not faster
  • Holt said Intel doesn’t yet know which new chip technology it will adopt, even though it will have to come into service in four or five years. He did point to two possible candidates: devices known as tunneling transistors and a technology called spintronics. Both would require big changes in how chips are designed and manufactured, and would likely be used alongside silicon transistors.

However, the new technologies Holt cited would not offer speed benefits over silicon transistors, suggesting that chips may stop getting faster at the pace that the technology industry has been used to. The new technologies would, however, improve the energy efficiency of chips, something important for many leading uses of computing today, such as cloud computing, mobile devices, and robotics.

Just small note, both mentioned techs are so far from real implementation and will bring so big price increase...

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/600716/intel-chips-will-have-to-sacrifice-speed-gains-for-energy-savings/

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • This might be relevant to the topic, and great 'movie' to watch during free time.

• Intel's 7th generation performance desktop processor, the Core i7-7700K, will be a quad-core part, like the seven generations before it. Leaked SiSoft SANDRA benchmark leaderboards reveal interesting details about the chip. To begin with, this quad-core part will feature HyperThreading enabling 8 logical CPUs for the OS to deal with. It will be clocked at 3.60 GHz, with a TurboBoost frequency of 4.20 GHz. Compare this, to the 4.00 GHz nominal and 4.20 GHz TurboBoost clocks of the current-generation i7-6700K.

http://www.techpowerup.com/222140/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-processor-detailed

img282.jpg
    800 x 240 - 48K
  • i7 comparison

Actual difference will be smaller due to usage of good GPU in practice (here they used build in only).

img569.jpg
    650 x 297 - 47K
    img570.jpg
    649 x 296 - 47K
  • Kaby Lake will come later and will require absolutely new MB (otherwise MB industry can die in pain)

img1186.jpg
    636 x 414 - 55K
  • Rather concerning the slowdown/halt in CPU speed progress, as a lot of other development relies upon the assumption CPUs will get faster and faster to open up new doors of capabilities.

• Nothing really concerning. Same things happen in cameras main LSIs even considering fact that they are much can be made more efficient and parallel. But it means profit drop, capitalists never do anything where profit drops.

• Some shipping estimates (S4+2 is 4 core desktop processors)

img1247.jpg
    662 x 397 - 69K
  • Mobile roadmap

So, may be, sometimes we will get 6 cores. Like in 2020-22.

img2126.jpg
    800 x 311 - 53K