Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Doing an interview with G6, recommendations needed
  • Hi,

I am planning to do an interview with G6 in the upcoming days, and I was hoping you could help me to check the optimal settings for this. I would really appreaciate all your helpful comments, and sorry if this post belongs to somewhere else.

Exposure mode: M

1. First of all, I've been thinking about AVHCD/MP4 and not sure which one I should use. I think I am going to use Premiere Elements 12 for editing (at least to combine the video with the separately captured audio track). The file size seems to be pretty same with these different formats. Any reason why I should pick one instead of the other?

2. I'd like to have the "film look" so I've been thinking of shooting either 24p or 25p (I know the film look is not just the fps, but also the lighting, DoF etc.). I should use shutter speed 50 with 24p or 25p, right? I live in Northern Europe, does that matter when choosing the 24p or 25p and the correct shutter speed? We have PAL.

3. I have to choose between AF and MF. I've been testing the AF with AFF and face detection, and it seems to work pretty well when the exposure meter shows the exposure is spot on. But when it's even little underexposed, it does not track the interviewee if he moves (leans forward etc.). Maybe I should just use MF, set it at the beginning, and just accept that the subject will be out of focus every now and then if he moves. I cannot keep checking whether the subject is focused or not, because I also have concentrate on doing the interview.

4. I have to set the Depth Of Field really shallow (F1.8) because there is not going to be much light. My lenses are Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm & 45mm F1.8. Especially if I shoot with shutter speed 50, I have to get as much light through the lens as possible. Do you agree? So if there is very little light, my options are to set the ISO as high as possible (which means more noise), or to switch to 50p and shutter speed 100, right?

5. Which Metering mode do you recommend: Multiple, Center weighted or Spot?

6. How long have you been able to shoot with one BLC12 battery?

Other:

I've been reading other threads about G6 and set the following settings:

I've set iDynamic and iResolution OFF. Photo style: Natural -1,0,0,0 White Balance: Do not use automatic setting.

Any other recommendations?

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • I have the G6 and have been shooting with it professionally for a couple of years. You want to be in the "Creative Movie" mode instead of Manual Exposure.

1. I always use AVCHD. Because I shoot long events and MP4 cuts off after 30 minutes. MTS files associated with AVCHD are pretty much universally accepted in most NLEs.

2. I'm not going to start another debate here, but if you look around on other threads, 24p will not NECESSARILY give you the "film/cinematic look," many other factors are involved. Personally I shoot 30p 90% of the time. One thing to remember is that the G6 shoots 30p in Progressive Segmented Frame format, meaning that although it's progressive, many NLEs will recognize it as interlaced. You just have to manually set the files as progressive within your NLE.

3. If you autofocus and then make sure to lock the focus then you should be fine. I always manually focus though.

4. Start with f1.8 and see. Depending on how far your subject it, your depth of field might be too thin. I also have the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and I feel a lot more comfortable shooting at f2.0 or 2.2, and that's with the subject over 50 feet away. You shouldn't have trouble with enough lighting even at 2.2. Worst case you can boost up the ISO a bit.

5. Doesn't matter when you are doing manual exposure settings.

6. About an hour with the screen open. Around 1'40" with the screen closed.

Hope this helps.

• Hi, thanks for the reply!

The creative movie mode is the one with the camera symbol and M?

1. Doesn't the camera have the 30min limit also when shooting in AVHCD?
    2. If I shoot in 30p, the shutter speed should be 60? EDIT: Just checked and all I have to choose from is 24p, 25p and 50p.
    3. Okay, I need to check how I can lock the AF in G6. I might also try manual focus, let's see.
    4. Yep, I need to test this. I was considering 45mm partly because it would be further away from the subject, so he could more easily forget the fact that he is being filmed.

5: ok 6: Can you make the LCD screen to stay on, and not to go to sleep? How about if you put it to go to sleep after few minutes; what if you want to make sure the subject is still in focus, and the camera is still recording, which button should I press? I am afraid I'll do something to the focus while recording if I touch the screen (I know I don't master this camera perfectly yet).

• Oh ok you have a PAL version then. I have an NTSC one so I don't have the 30 minute limit on my G6. This is also why you have 25p instead of 30p. In your case, the difference between 24p and 25p is pretty much non-existent. I think 24p might have a slightly higher bitrate however, you'll have to check your manual.

To lock focus with AF, use the AFL button on the back. Make sure you set the button to do AFL only instead of AEL in your Customs menu.

And yes Creative Movie mode is the one with the camera plus the letter M.