Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
De-interlace GH2 footage in Premiere?
  • I'm trying to find out if there's a way to get suitable 1080 60i footage from my GH2 into Premiere to feed into Twixtor without dropping to 720p. I'll be looking to drop the frame rate to 24, preferably progressive, for further slow motion by Twixtor. As I understand it, GH2 shoots 1080 60i. I've shot a clip in 60i, but both Premiere and Media Player Classic report it as being 29.97 and interlaced. Consequently I don't know how to get to the 60 frames in Premiere. I can de-interlace the footage but it stays at 29.97fps.

So three questions basically. 1. Is there a way to get Premiere to recognize and deinterlace the 60 frames and turn it into 24p footage? 2. Do I even need to deinterlace for Twixtor? 3. Avixdemux recognized the footage as 60i, and I've seen posts where people use third-party software to deinterlace. Is Premiere not a good tool for this job?

Thanks very much for any help.
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • Premiere deinterlace automatically when you export interlaced footage. (Just choose what format you want the footage in).

Mind, 60i is not 60fps. 29.97 / 30p is correct. You could change the fps for the editing base when you use twixtor though. (because you are going to add additional movement / frames artificially)
    Watch out for frame doubling issues though! - it's propably easier to leave fps as it is and just change in timing.
  • i'm exporting in 24p. so i need to reinterpret 30fps to 24fps before i can put it in the timeline. going from 60p to 24p is smooth, but 30 to 24 is very jerky. and what do you mean by changing the fps for the editing base, and by frame doubling issues? sorry i'm a bit new to having to change frame rate - just got the GH2 recently :p
  • Well, it sounds like you plan to use the footage for editing after export? Correct? Then keep framerate 30p until the final export where you add frame blend when downsampling to 24p. You can try out how it looks by making a 24p sequence where you add frame blend to the footage.

There might be a better way to downsample to 24p - It's not my forte - but by blending frames you get reasonable results.

Nevermind what I said about the editing base and fps in previous post for now.
  • actually i was hoping that i would be able to use a 60i/30fps clip directly in a 24p timeline. premiere allows clips in the bin to be treated as having another fps without encoding. this works well for 60p to 24p, but so far going from 30 to 24 gives jerky results. it looks like a lot of trouble at the moment.
  • Both ways of downsampling you talk about makes the editor just drop frames = no good = jerky movement. The reason 60p>24p looks better is because there are more frames to begin with.
  • hmm looks like it might make more sense to shoot 1080 30p with my 60D for slow mo then. i was hoping the GH2's 1080 60i would give me more to work with, but maybe not. thanks very much for your help!
  • Unless you absolutely have to have the 1080 frame you can always shoot 720p60 instead. I guess it will give you a similar result as the 60d in terms of image quality, even if you upscale the 720p, but more frames to work with.

Off topic perhaps, but If I were you, and serious about doing slow-mo work, I'd swap the 60d for a nex5n.
  • the 60D can do 720p60 too, but oh wow full HD at 60p for the nex5n! intriguing. i did some more tests and it looks like i can get sufficiently good results with 30p for now, so i'll stick with that. still hoping that the GH2 can have 1080p60 one day :p
  • yeah, with aliasing, moiré and so on.. (60d) 1080p60 (on nex5n) also have similar problems like footage from the 60d (particularly faster framerates), but it is more manageable!

That said - whatever works!