Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Can the GH2 have custom picture profiles?
  • Hi guys, I'm not sure if this has been discussed (to the literal sense) but as the title says, can a camera as old as the wonderful GH2 (but the same goes for the GH3 and even the GH4) be hacked/modified or patched to have custom picture profiles by any chance?

If this is not the case then why may I ask? And either way could it ever be done??

As you probably figured out where this may lead, yes it is ought to do with having flat or log video, and I know it has been discussed to death in regards to the existing ones in-camera and how to set them etc etc etc. but i really want profiles that are designed to professional use, Cinestyle or even V-Log would be absolutely incredible to have on these Panny cameras dont you think??? :)

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • What do you think you'd gain by having a "flat" or log profile in the GH2 that you couldn't do simply by manipulating the footage from one of the existing film modes? The GH2's video doesn't have the dynamic range to warrant a log color space.

• Just get a GH4 and you will have custom profiles.

• I believe the GH2 sensor could be capable of more dynamic range if it would be possible to have cinelike d and vlog as options in the camera menu. unfortunately Panasonic probably will not release a firmware upgrade to do this and the hacks cannot do also.

• @balazer Well the very same reason why a lot of cameras offer it and why Canon DSLR users use it in the first place, why cant the GH cameras have the same thing? They blatantly offer superior image quality YEARS before flat and log picture profiles were becoming available and when raw hacks were implemented too.

@caveport In the real world, not everyone can afford the GH4, as much to my dismay (I really really do want one) I still discover whilst using something like the GH2 that the quality it produces still amazes me, especially after filming with the much newer Canon 700D on Cinestyle where it still doesn't hold up.

@apefos I'm with you! It will certainly bring new life to the camera (honestly this should've been done a long time ago!), but why do you think it can't be done? Even with any of the hacks??

• The hacks tweaks the data encoding, not the picture profiles.

Panasonic could give us this precious gift, a new firmware, but I think this will never happen...

• I'll love to have an update on the GH2 firmware, I love this camera image madly. But as @apefos has pointed out, it's not likely to happen. It's an old model and Panasonic has implemented in newer models all the stuff we'll like to have on our GH2, including log/flat profiles.

I already asked in the Ptool development discussion, and as you could see, we shouldn't hold our breath: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/207197#Comment_207197

I've shooted with the GH4 and I don't find the image quality much better, and I don't need 4K. UI and features are better, vlog/cinema-D is great.

For me, I'll love to have this:

• Log/flat profile.
    • 2K AVCHD size. MPEG can have custom resolution, but AVCHD can't.

None of them are likely to become real :(

• The GH2 is capable of 120Mbps intraframe in 1080p

The GH2 can do ETC crop mode to record 1920x1080 from the sensor

This proves that a new firmware from Panasonic could implement 4k recording in 3840x2160 crop area from the sensor in the GH2, if the camera processor can be fast enough to encode the data...

• @apefos I don't know anything about technical stuff, but damn, I want this firmware upgrade so badly :)

• buy the G7 !

• I'm fairly sure there will not be any more GH2 firmware updates.

• No thanks, any new GH2 firmware upgrade from Panasonic would just make it unhackable.

• So:

• There's no way to get flat/log profile.
    • No way to get higher resolution AVCHD.
    • A firmware upgrade will make it unhackable.

Damn, I guess then we'll have to upgrade our gear. But in my opinion GH4 isn't that much better, really. I've done a lot of two camera setups shooting with GH2 + GH4 and I end up using GH2 a lot more for details and close-ups and GH4 for Wide shots (better shadows detail).