Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 massive overexposure
  • Hello everyone,

I received a GH2 as a bonus along with another camera I purchased, but I've been unable to use it for photography. When I shoot in bright lighting conditions, I get extreme overexposure, sometimes almost a white image. When I shoot video with the same settings, I get perfectly exposed images. I've tried different lenses, firmware updates, hacked firmware (currently using Sanity 5.1), auto & locked ISO, multiple shooting modes (M, S, A, P & iA), reset all camera settings multiple times. I've attached images shot back to back with video and still shot with the same settings, any thoughts?

video.JPG
    1767 x 895 - 297K
    P1030035-2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • I strongly suspect that your camera has a mechanical shutter defect - since it should at least produce properly exposed images in iA mode (where there's no risk of wrong manual camera settings). When you shoot video, an electronic shutter is used instead of the mechanical shutter. This would explain why videos are properly exposed while stills aren't.

• Really interesting thought- I just shot an image indoors at 1/1000 & 1/60 and they had the same exposure, so if there is a defect it is as a percentage of the shutter speed, not a consistent delay. It seems somehow that the light meter is over-reacting to bright light, but only in stills.