Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What Fluid Head is this!?!?
  • So my friend bought a Davis & Sanford 7518 tripod recently off Amazon, but instead of getting the popular FM18, she got a V18 fluid head, a model I've never seen before and can't even find any info on Google, Amazon, or B&H.

Anyone heard of this? Someone said that it's a rebadged fluid head, but he doesn't know which one. It does seem smoother than the FM18, though.

V18.jpg
    720 x 960 - 47K
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • The tripod is the Davis & Sanford Provista 7518b. Evidently, the D&S V18 head is part of the package. Here is a one-sheet (PDF) on the combination.

• So is this a new item or something? My friend actually ordered the normal one with the FM18, but they sent the V18 instead.

It also looks like a rebadged Magnus VT-3000, but with supposedly 75mm bowl and 18lb capacity instead of 65mm and 6.6lbs. I mean, that's a huge difference!

http://www.amazon.com/Magnus-VT-3000-Professional-Performance-Tripod/dp/B00AE1LFDG/

• The V18 and the head on the Magnus VT-3000 definitely look similar.

I am not crazy about the lack of drag adjustment on the tilt and pan, nor about the lack of counter balance adjustment. Also, some of the reviews on the VT-3000 Amazon page seem to point out other cons.

If both tripods originate from the same manufacturer, I wonder if Davis & Sanford has enhanced the design/performance.