Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Worth to read: William Willis books
  • I think no one heard of this man today, yet he was extraordinary man.

And wrote two books about two of his amazing trips (at age 60 and at age 71).
    They may be not best literature in style, but they are simple, interesting and honest.

First book - The Epic Voyage of the Seven Little Sisters

aka The Gods Were Kind: An Epic 6700 Mile Voyage Alone Across the Pacific (in US)

Second book - An angel on each shoulder

He died in 1968 during third attempt to cross Atlantic ocean on little boat.

I suggest to skip Seaworthy: Adrift with William Willis in the Golden Age of Rafting recent book by journalist (if you like, you can read it later) and go to the originals.

Some info

http://indigenousboats.blogspot.com/2011/05/william-willis-raft-wacko.html

zebra135.jpg
    733 x 516 - 85K
    zebra134.jpg
    389 x 604 - 91K
    zebra132.jpg
    758 x 858 - 120K
    zebra133.jpg
    631 x 760 - 104K
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • One of my favorite books is similar. "Sailing Around the World Alone", Joshua Slocum's own account of his historic solo circumnavigation in 1895. The version with the original illustrations is preferred. They are excellent.

To young men contemplating a voyage I would say go. The tales of rough usage are for the most part exaggerations, as also are the tales of sea danger. To face the elements is, to be sure, no light matter when the sea is in its grandest mood. You must then know the sea, and know that you know it, and not forget that it was made to be sailed over.

http://www.amazon.com/Sailing-Alone-Around-Joshua-Slocum/dp/0486203263

• First trip (google scans lots of old newspapers) image

His last save by ship, on next attempt he went missing

Last trip

Accuracy :-)

Willis had made his final log entry on July 21, setting down merely his latitude of fifty-three degrees and fifty minutes north (from Seaworthy book)

zebra182.jpg
    326 x 832 - 68K
    zebra183.jpg
    800 x 618 - 74K
    zebra184.jpg
    314 x 144 - 17K
    zebra185.jpg
    267 x 40 - 5K
    zebra186.jpg
    262 x 104 - 9K