Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
MJPEG Highest Possible Bitrate Limited by...?
  • MJPEG Highest Possible Bitrate Limited by...?

Hi @all, GH2 Newbie here,

1) Whats the max write speed of the camera? Bus Speed??

2) Whats the SD-Spec Version of the Camera? 1.01, 2.0, 3.01(UHS-I) ?

3) I read somewhere on the inernet the Spec Version is 2.0. Lets say the SD Spec Version ist 2.0 which would mean the max bitrate is 25MByte = 200MBits Is there any reason for buying a SD Card with a faster writing speed than 25MByte ???

4) If so why is the Sandisk 64 95Mbyte Card the most recommended one?

5) Any advantage of buying the Sandisk 280Mbyte card?

Thanks a lot!!!

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Why MJPEG is mentioned at all? Or you mean H.264?

• Sorry Newbie here, but thanks for the fast reply.

I should have wrote "Highest Possible Bitrate Limited by...?"
    and left the "MJPEG" out of the title.
    Why is MJPEG important to me?
    I just bought a used GH2 with an anamorphic lens adapter.
    The stretch factor of the lens is 2X.
    To my knowledge the 4:3 Aspect Ratio Option is only available in manual mjpeg mode.
    At the moment am using the SD-Card (Sandisk 30MB) that came with the camera.
    I would like to film low light scenes.
    What iam getting out of the camera right now is a very muddy,noisy looking image.
    I was hoping a higher mjpeg bitrate would give me a cleaner picture.
    I'm filming at iso 160. AVCHD gives with same setting a much cleaner image imo.
    I was going to buy the recommended Sandisk Card but just found this test on a german Site:
    http://www.chip.de/bestenlisten/Bestenliste-SD-Karten--index/detail/id/802/
    According to them the Kingston (SDA3/32GB SDHC Class 3 UHS-I U3) Card was faster in every category.
    See attached image for side by side comparison Sandisk vs kingston (in german: lesen=reading, schreiben=write, mittlere=average, kürzeste=shortest, längste=longest, datenrate=bitrate)
    But they used different card readers for the test.
    So don't know how valid the result are especially for the gh2.
    Anyone using this card with the gh2?

Thanks so much.

Untitled.png
    700 x 550 - 38K
  • Actually 'Sandisk class 10 30mb/s' cards are very very decent. I use them without any problems even with Intra patches (such as moont7).

• Hey @gth2hfun PM me if you need help in Deutsch ;) DON'T buy the Kingston...

• Is nobody able to answer one of those questions from above? MAX BITRATE aso?

• @gth2hfun

You can just browse http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/hack-top-settings

Patches with highest bitrate are very close to camera max capabilities.