Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Activate - Thoughts/Requests/Physics
  • So I've got this "Activation list" in my menu, it's quite an interesting idea, if you get beyond the - why don't they give us everything in one go.. which quite a few people are going to struggle with...

Anyway I am interested in things that might be achievable with the mechanics and processing power of the GH4.

My first thoughts are for the recording of internal 10 bit, could it be done if time restricted? is heat the problem or data? Or is it all down to Panasonic's marketing team and their schedule?

Interested in what other's would like to see come to the GH4?
    :)

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Active is the thing to make you pay for small firmware change (that V-Log is). Period.

With around 99% probability it will be only one thing available for GH4, but I assume that for GH5 they will come with approach where up to 30% of all advanced functions will be activated and only for limited time basis (say - monthly payment).

• Hmm, you think they will send us out a new serial code in the mail each month @VK?

• @alcomposer

Nope, will start to use Wi-Fi properly :-) So each few days it will connect to special license site and check your account for activated options.

• @Vitaliy Panasonic kept selling the GH3 after the introduction of the GH4, so maybe financial gain is not their only aim..?
    Keeping the large number of GH4 owners happy in the long term has to be worth something to Panasonic.

• @VK please don't give panasonic such a diabolical idea. Very sad prospect to think about- especially since soon these feature will be standard. In some cases (blackmagic) they already are.

Or is does panasonic really need all cash for future survival? Gh4 feature licensing like printer ink model?

• please don't give panasonic such a diabolical idea.

I want to have private talk with them, as I have so many similar ideas :-)

• It's obvious from camera sale numbers that people are holding on to their kit, much to the dismay of corporate types.. and maybe the GH4 wasn't spec'ed out when it was made.. (nm's etc) but a longer shelf life by offering additional activations, is a more ecologically sound direction that I'd support.

• It's obvious from camera sale numbers that people are holding on to their kit, much to the dismay of corporate types

I'll tell you more. I think we do not even see real scale of various falsification schemes used to report income and sales numbers in last 2 years. Lots of cameras are actually selling now after long time being in storage and on the price that is lower than factory one.