Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hurlbut: Starve The CMOS?
  • http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2011/11/05/lighting-basics-going-with-what-is-available/

I love his thinking RE Home Depot lighting, but then he wraps it up with this:

"Remember the secret to exposing HD is to starve the CMOS chip of light."

Far be it for me etc etc but huh?

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • Don't blow out the highlights
  • I know not to blow out highlights, but do you really need to "starve the CMOS" to accomplish that? When I starve my CMOS it expresses its displeasure with noise and macro blocking.

Hurlbut and/or his team clearly know what they're doing, their results speak for themselves. But that word "starve". I do not think it means what he thinks it means.
  • I think he was just being 'poetic' there :-)
  • On the Sin City commentary Robert Rodriquez said he didn't use light meters any more he just lights by eye and how it looks in the HD monitors since he started shooting digital. And he's used less lights than normal and the real time monitoring allowed him to take lighting chances they normally wouldn't on Film productions. I suspect that Hurlbut could have used even fewer lights and still gotten a good look. He's definitely on the right track.
  • I guess my objection to the blanket statement about light-starving CMOS sensors for the best IQ lies in the differences between the kind of HD cameras guys like Hurlbut and Rodriquez shoot with, and consumer cameras like the GH2. Maybe you can starve an Alexa or a RED and get great results. Certainly you can surprisingly accetable low-light footage if you go with one of the extreme high-bitrate GH2 patches like Driftwood's. But clearly, the GH2/5D2 sensors are happier with a lot more light than I'm seeing in Hurlbut's clips.

If I'm missing something here, please pile on. But when I shoot my hacked GH2 with CBrandin's 44mb patch, things look best with a well-lit subject and a healthy histogram. As the light dims, things go progressively wobblier.

I think Hurlbut's great but I don't think the starved CMOS recommendation works for those of us in the real world shooting consumer DSLRs, even hacked GH2s.
  • Well you can ask him directly on his blog he is pretty good about replying, especially for a valid question like this. Shane doesn't always use an Alexa, I mean he uses the 5DM2 quite often, have you seen the trailer for Act Of Valor? - damn good looking cinematography and he's applying the same principles. Cheers
  • I don't know if you guys realize these DSLRs see into the light a lot better that film cameras do. Since that is the case I would expect one to need a lot less lighting equipment on set than they would with film cameras. Maybe Hurlburt is referring to this.
  • @Ian_T am I the only one here that feels like the Low Light ability of the GH2 is great?
    (maybe I need to get out more with an Epic?)
    And that such a large sensor is very bright - with a fast lens - compared to a 1/3-2/3 inch cam...
  • @Ian_T

My sentiments exactly - full frame DSLR's basically devour light - hence 'starve the CMOS' - I wasn't being cheeky up above about Shane being poetic :-)
  • @alcomposer Nope. You're not alone with that thought. I had a 7D for a while and I think it's on par with it in terms of low light.

@last_SHIFT Yeah I understood what you meant. Hurlburts choice of words just makes it a bit confusing but I think we all know what he was trying to say. Then again....you never know. :-)
  • At the dark end of the GH2's dynamic range, the noise level of the image sensor decreases by less than 2/3rds stop as you increase the ISO over the camera's 4-stop video range from ISO 160-3200. At the same time, however, the dynamic range at the bright end decreases from nearly 11-stops at ISO 160, dropping down to about 7-stops at ISO 3200:

http://www.sensorgen.info/PanasonicDMC_GH2.html

What this means in practice is that the GH2 has a fairly constant level of shadow noise, regardless of the ISO setting. If you don't expose the sensor to enough light through the lens, image contrast will not be much stronger than the background noise. In addition, the granularity of the 8-bit compressed color data is very coarse at the dark end of the scale, and that tends to exaggerate the local contrast among shadow noise pixels and image details. This is where the GH2's low-light performance falls short of high-end Nikon DSLRs:

http://www.sensorgen.info/NikonD3X.html
    http://www.sensorgen.info/NikonD7000.html

As ISO is increased, the camera amplifies the GH2's relatively constant shadow noise, making both noise and image details brighter and more visible. At the same time, the highlight clipping limit drops proportional to the ISO setting, reducing the overall dynamic range. The GH2 maintains a dynamic range of more than 9-stops up through ISO 800, which is close to the optimal ISO for low-light conditions. If you can't get adequate exposure levels at ISO 800, you need to either lower the shutter speed or get a faster lens.
  • That pic is a frame grab of a video with an UN hacked GH1 with a 1.7-1.8 50mm lens(not sure which cause I have a couple and the vid is old). No artificial lights, only the two overheads and one overhead outside the hall just in front and above the cam. One of the first things I shot with my cam and I love how that looks. A great example of how a natural location can have a really great look, even in way underexposed lighting.

The floor is not freshly waxed but still has enough shine to have some nice reflections. The walls are cinder block with standard white glossy paint and the gloss give it a certain sheen and the cinder block texture also adds a certain depth. This would be perfect for a spooky or suspenseful sequence. No extra lights needed.

Even with a f2.8 or 2.5 lens, you'd be shocked at how little light you need even in mid iso so you can stay out of the horrible FPN of a GH1 at higher iso. Go to any mall or big store parking lot at night with a F2.8 or faster lens and see how high an ISO you need to get a nice image. Not very high.
    DarkHall.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 297K
  • The GH2 works great in low light, but there's no room to bring out detail in the blacks if you desire later. (Maybe this is improved with the latest ridiculously high datarate patches. Can't wait to test.) That's fine if you want to crush all your blacks and don't care about detail. It's fine for video and web where the blacks are going to get destroyed in compression anyway. Not so great for projection or broadcast, though.

When I saw the Shane Hurlbut quote, I too was perplexed. I've been experimenting with raising by blacks above the noise floor--either with lighting or Tiffen UltraCon filters. It makes for a very rich look when you crush the blacks back down and still retain detail without the noise.
  • I didn't read the blog, but perhaps he's referring to the habit a lot of shooters have -- at all levels, of over lighting. So many sets are blasted with light. Less can be more, even with the GH2, the sensor is pretty big.

EDIT: Wow, that guy is ASC...I think he's the DP that Christian Bale went nuts on -- on the Terminator Salvation set. Pretty cool what he did with that street. Mostly he reduced light, instead of adding it.
  • I think the semantic split here has to do with what each end-user's trying to achieve. My error was in applying Hurlbut's starve-the-CMOS advice globally, like it was something every DSLR video shooter should do for the best results. But what I think he really meant was that we can shoot much darker scenes with modern CMOS cameras and things won't fall apart like they used to...*IF* your desired end result is a dark scene. His example clips are all very dark, and they look great. I've shot very dark scenes with a GH2 using what's now probably considered a middle-of-the-road patch, CBrandin's 44mb, all the way up to ISO1250 and they look fine. This linked example was shot with a Canon FD 35mm f2, no post processing:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20129/gh2lowlight.zip

So if you're shooting a movie and you want a scene to look really dark and noir, starve away.

But if, say, you're shooting something indoors with available light and you're stopping down to keep everyone in focus, etc. You're starving your CMOS but Unkie Shane sez thumbs up, so you shoot away, thinking you can kick up levels in post. Except you can't, because when you go to grade it brighter you're going to see a lot of nasty artifacts and noise even Neat Video can't really cope with transparently. Waaaa! Unkie Shane lied to us!

No, he didn't. Unkie Shane's right, you can starve your CMOS if you want a dark scene. But if you want to grade later and bring levels up so the scene looks like it had more light to begin with, then, no, you should never starve your CMOS. You should feed it plenty of light and keep the nasties down at the barely perceptible noise floor where they belong.
  • @Shaveblog - "Unkie Shane's right, you can starve your CMOS if you want a dark scene."
    Yes, especially if your post-production plan is to boost contrast and crush the shadow noise into black.
  • I saw Hurlbut say the "starve the sensor" thing at the end of a product video for his new line of rigs. I think it was on FilmRiot. (guilty pleasure.) So it sounds like he's saying it a lot. I'd love more clarity on this. The guy is a talent, no question. If he knows something, I'd love to benefit from his insight.
  • I think he's talking about starving the sensor relative to film stock, as per @Ian_T's comment:

"I don't know if you guys realize these DSLRs see into the light a lot better that film cameras do. Since that is the case I would expect one to need a lot less lighting equipment on set than they would with film cameras."