Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Californians cut water use by 27%
  • If we can reduce water use, why not oil? why not any resource? Maybe we're not so stuck in our avarice.

Urban water use in California dropped by 27% in June, according to figures released Thursday by the State Water Resources Control Board

http://ktla.com/2015/07/30/california-water-usage-drops-27-in-june-exceeding-25-mandate/

• 27 Replies sorted by
  • If we can reduce water use, why not oil? why not any resource? Maybe we're not so stuck in our avarice.

LOL

You can cut anything, just as we will cut more life will be closer to stone age.

• No perceptible change in lifestyle here in california except our lawns are brown not green.. Using less may not be as ridiculous as you assume.

• @brianl

You better ask your farmers how it is not perceptible :-) As major water consumers are not ordinary people.

I knew few people also, and most are not really happy, so such reduction can be felt :-)

• My only point is water is the only resource more precious than oil. 27% is not an insignificant number and a result purely from media and financial pressure. No one turned off the taps. Essentially voluntary compliance. This suggest malleability in consumption patterns many wouldn't have predicted.

• This suggest malleability in consumption patterns many wouldn't have predicted.

If they are stupid, as it is enough to open any historic books and charts.

My only point is water is the only resource more precious than oil.

It is plenty of free water in oceans, so water is secondary resource if you have energy to desalinate it :-)

• Your problem is you're allergic to good news! ;)

• Your problem is you're allergic to good news! ;)

Your problem is that you want to present bad news as good news.

• Here's is more good news. Or maybe bad news for California. GODZILLA! http://sfist.com/2015/07/23/godzilla_el_nino_now_being_called_s.php

• How is cutting resource use (with minimal prodding) "bad news"?

• @brianl

For all people who use this resource it is bad news.

Let's make video with you telling how good news it is and if they like more of it to usual people on the street.

After this same thing with California agriculture workers and farmers.

Just note - I won't be paying for stone on your grave.

• It's not a question of what we like it's a question of what we can DO. What we can adjust to. California has impressively demonstrated it's willingness to sacrifice . If I did a doc I guarantee the average Californian would be proud of that sacrifice.\

Think of a fat man who starts eating less. He loses weight. He feels better and realizes he's done something posiitve for his health. California is a fat man. Sacrifice. If you like your state, your city, your country, you make the sacrifice and feel good about it. It's a fulfillment of social contract.

pessimism and cynicism should never be the animus of citizenship. A society that does so will fail.

• If I did a doc I guarantee the average Californian would be proud of that sacrifice.\

Let's make one, with someone third and independent asking question, as direct as possible. Directly citing your words and how proud they must be.

pessimism and cynicism should never be the animus of citizenship.

It is just two words use wrongly in inappropriate place and time.

If you know that something will be worse (as weather guys predict) and if it will affect quality of life of many people (including ones you know) - it is not pessimism and stating this is not cynicism. Nope, but it is IDIOTISM to state how cool it is.

If having plenty of water and no drought California rulers and management somehow understood that they need to save water and planned ahead, build necessary infrastructure, etc.. This will be reason to be proud and being optimistic about life quality.

• I'll challegne dissenters. 10 person sample size? we must hear the interviewers question and how it's frame.

• For a democratic state to plan ahead for possible future hardship has not, in the past, been a realistic expectation. But Californians' response to the actual situation indicates that there is some possibility of fending off, or mitigating the oncoming global catastrophe. So, the words pessimism and cynicism do apply. Cynicism is the belief that our actions do not matter. They do matter, so cynicism is the incorrect response.

• Get any present-day parliamentarian country, from America to Switzerland, from France to Britain, Norway and so forth - in these countries the real business of “state” is performed behind the scenes and is carried on by the departments, chancelleries, and General Staffs. Parliament is given up to talk for the special purpose of fooling the "common people".

Find the source of this always actual quote :-)

• @brianl 's point holds. It's proof of capacity for people to cooperate and make sacrifice, thus speaking to potential for future in other areas.

• It's proof of capacity for people to cooperate and make sacrifice, thus speaking to potential for future in other areas.

It is proof of opposite. As it is not sacrifice if you have no water and forced to use less.

Sacrifice is different thing completely.

• We not not forced to use less. We voluntarily use less.

• We not not forced to use less. We voluntarily use less.

Cool logic. Forced by nature we VOLUNTARILY use less.

• As someone living in CA this whole water conservation regulations imposed by the municipalities is ridiculous. The residential water consumption went down 27%, but this only represents an overall water consumption reduction of 5% (residential is < 20% total, agri-business primary consumer). A nit. This is all about politicians trying to appear to do something when in reality they are doing more harm than good. If you want to conserve water, raise the price of it. But since CA is big time agri-business they are not going to impact state consumption of water when $ are generated there even thought that is the big slice of the pie. Lots of cheating and water stealing going on in small farm stuff. Big farms are covered.

• If L.A. becomes like Detroit and Baltimore, they'll just shutoff the water completely in poorer neighborhoods like South Central, East L.A., Boyle Heights, etc. Meanwhile in Beverly Hills:

BREAKING NEWS A consortium of Beverly Hills water guzzlers hired the Tunnel Escape crew for Mexican drug kingpin "El Chapo Guzman" to build a secret underground pipe network to water their lawns. " Normally we shamelessly water our lawns day and night" says semi-washed up producer Joel Silver who was wearing a paper bag over his head to conceal his identity , " But who can afford the $500 fine?!!"

Detroit's Water War: a tap shut-off that could impact 300,000 people

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/true-north/2014/jun/25/detroits-water-war-a-tap-shut-off-that-could-impact-300000-people

Baltimore to send water turn-off notices to 25,000 delinquent customers

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-water-bills-20150326-story.html

• If L.A. becomes like Detroit and Baltimore, they'll just shutoff the water completely in poorer neighborhoods like >South Central, East L.A., Boyle Heights, etc. Meanwhile in Beverly Hills:

Afluent homes actually do get much larger h20 allotments right row. It's all based on property sqaure footage, not # of people.

• Cool logic. Forced by nature we VOLUNTARILY use less.

disagree. I live in California. I could've ignored nature and our taps would still have water. With just the simplest of lifestyle changes, we came in well below our household allotment every month. We never never worried that water would be shut off. It was all about a mindset of pitching in and doing our part. Political leadership was explicit that water wouldn't be turned off. That's not what motivated us. any this is starting to feel like a glass half full argument. In 6 months Calif may be underwater from el Nino.

• In 6 months Calif may be underwater from el Nino.

You mean that I must wait for post how people of California VOLUNTARILY stopped saving water and how much sacrifice it is and how more proud and more clean they are now?

• You mean that I must wait for post how people of California VOLUNTARILY stopped saving water and how much >sacrifice it is and how more proud and more clean they are now?

Precisely.