Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Using Proxy for my GH4 4K .mov files with PPro CC 2015
  • I'd like to avoid upgrading my pc right now so i'm trying to find alternatives (proxy files-settings in ppro etc) in order to be able to edit my files.... I've got 8gb memory (maximum supported from the motherboard) and i've set 5,5gb(2,5gb for OS) in ppro from the settings menu... Imported files (120gb of 4K .mov gh4 ) i'm getting a low memory message (after 5-10minutes) and i have to quit the app.

Will transcoding to Prores 442 4K proxy (3840*2160 res) help with memory problem? It sure helped with cpu load (90% vs 35%) for a 4k file in a 1080p timeline...the proxy 4k file is double the size of the original (converted with cliptoolz) but before i do the same for all the project i'd like to know if i'll solve the low memory message?

Any other suggestions for dealing with low memory message?

Thanks!

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Go to preferences and make sure you set memory to "memory" not performance and make sure you designate maximum memory to ppro.

• When you say maximum ,you mean 8gb tp ppro out off 8gb total?

• On the Mac PPro doesn't release the RAM it has used. I use an app called Free Memory or something like that and I can see when I have very little free ram left. Usually after 2 hours of editing I have to use it to release the memory. I could use a terminal command too. My editing Hackintosh had 16GB of RAM, I added another 16GB ,thinking it would speed things up, it really didn't do anything noticeable to me.

Anyway, I'd look into whether on the PC side PPro similarly doesn't release the RAM after it's been used and that's why you are getting out-of-memory notices. Of course you should have enough RAM to cover their system specs.