Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
OpenCL vs CUDA for Editing in Adobe Products / Davinci Resolve
  • Hello,

I need some help by experts on this topic. I know that a lot of people think that CUDA works best because it was supported already a long time ago but my question is since Adobe supports OpenCL acceleration in newer version which is the way to go for editing. Open CL becomes more and more influencial and supported and AMD Cards generally are better in it (and how will future HBM memory bandwidth in R9 300 cards affect the game?)

Thank you!

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Just get good NVidia cards for now. Potential does not mean reality.

• Is the number of Cuda Cores important? Maxwell may be the better architecture but GTX 780's have more cores!

• Just get 980 or 970 card, even 960 can do. As they do 4k p60 for future things.

For requirements you can check Resolve documents (they usually are most depending from all apps).

• Sorry for asking again. How harsh are the differences between a 960 and 970? (-> Very low bus width + vram) How will this show in editing? You are sure I shouldn't wait on the next AMD cards? They are right around the corner!

• How harsh are the differences between a 960 and 970? (-> Very low bus width + vram)

As I said, check editors requirements. Difference in editing is much smaller than in games. And actually exist only in heavy multiple GPU effects usually (like many nodes in Resolve).

You are sure I shouldn't wait on the next AMD cards? They are right around the corner!

You can wait infinitely. Top AMD cards will be very pricey game oriented things.

• And be wary of the GTX 970 with 4GB of memory - the last 512MB are very slow to access.

• If you are on a budget and working exclusively in resolve get the amd cards as resolve requires a lot of vram. But if adding effects to your timeline in premiere is your main focus and resolve is just a hobby the nvidias will suffice.

• If you're a Mac user using a Nvidia card with Premiere Pro CC I'll recommend to check this out: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1393885?start=360&tstart=0

• Have a look at the EVGA GTX 970 and 980 series. Such cards offer highest performance and cooling features. Evga's tuning software PrecIsion X can bring out even more, offering a wide field of tweaking settings.

In the end it is your application that makes use of GPU acceleration or not. Premiere Pro CC fully support the new gtx 900 series, inlcuding Speedgrade for example.

• Maybe we've got some news here since the last reply. What about R9 390X vs GTX 970? Maybe some real life tests in Davinci and Premiere? 8 gigs of vram in AMD cards sound nice on paper. And there was enough time to optimize OpenCL.

• hi guys question is up again GTX1060 or RX480 for low end or GTX1080 vs dual RX480 for mid end.

I still don by this 199dll for the performance of an gtx980ti but maybe I'm wrong and its time for AMD.

• I think it is better to opt for nvidia graphics cards particularly for adobe products because of their better support for CUDA framework.