Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
When will we see the Sony NEX 4k CamCorder with A7s Sensor?
  • The VG900 misses my mark by a mile. I want 4k with 60fps capability to record internally. I want to shoot in the near dark like I can with my A7s. I want controls like on a decent CamCorder. I don't care how big or heavy it is because I will use it on a TriPod anyway. Fixed lens would be OK with me but I prefer E-mount. I want it for less than $5,000 but "dream" of $3k. Lord, give me Patience, and give it to me now!

• 27 Replies sorted by
  • In the future.

Sony seems to be stuck for now.

• So are Canon and Nikon. They both could make an affordable/incredible Video Camera with mostly "Off the Shelf" parts.

• Panasonic MAY be trying with the DVX200. We will see how they implement the codec.

• Panasonic MAY be trying with the DVX200.

Yep, child that was born dead, and question how it is related to FF camcorder :-)

• This camera already exists. It's called the FS7. The only problem is it's price.

• It's called the FS7. The only problem is it's price.

I can rephrase it. Only problem is our income :-)

• The a7S sensor read-out speed is not fast enough for UHD at 60 fps.

• Although the FS7 is a really great CamCorder, it only has a s35 Sensor which is half the size of the A7s with no where near the low light capability. I would be more likely to get the JVC LS300 with included Rokinon lens for less than half the price if I wanted a DX size Sensor.

I am not sure about whether the A7s Sensor is capable of UHD at 60 fps, but the processor can not even handle UHD at 30 fps when internal recording..

• And it has much more RS than FS7 since it's FF. Crop it to S-35 and the are very similar, actually colors are better in the FS7.

• Sony FS7 for $8000 is not overpriced. It's really a pretty amazing deal actually when you look at Canon's offerings. The C500 costs twice as much, for example, and arguably is inferior across the board.

• Although the FS7 is a really great CamCorder, it only has a s35 Sensor which is half the size of the A7s with no where near the low light capability. I would be more likely to get the JVC LS300 with in for less than half the price

I for one do not think that FS7 is overpriced. My friend absolutely loves his. It does well stand alone but really comes to life with an Odyssey 7Q+ recorder. Two problems for me. 1. I don't have that much money for something I cannot use to pay for itself. A starter outfit with only a 28-135 lens, a couple XQD cards, and 4k recorder is way beyond my budget. 2. It does not have low enough light capabilities for my use indoors with no extra light. Only the A7s does that . This is why I ask about using the same Sensor in a CamCorder.

• I'm going back and forth between the FS7 and the Blackmagic Ursa Mini.

• Did you ever see the A7S and the FS7 side-by-side? I did.

In short: for professional work, I'd always go for the FS7. It's a very well designed camera without any major flaws, and you don't really need it's expensive and clumsy external recording option, it's quite capable on it's own.

If you can't afford it, the A7S is the best you can get for that money right now. But it has serious flaws (like all in this price range):

• The castrated S-Log2 is hell in grading skin tones.
    • Certain wavelengths of blue can wreck your images.
    • The RS (in FF) is massive.
    • The ergonomics suck, in particular with an external recorder (which you need for 4K and success in grading)

Why not go for the G7 (if you need 4K), earn some money with it and then go for a FS7 (or it's successor)?

The low-light capability of the FS7 is quite good, BTW, and the A7S can get quite noisy when you try to grade it's internal recordings in S-Log2 and didn't overexpose (which is not low-light any more).

• I just did a Church Video with the A7s at 5000 ISO. There was no visible noise. The 7Q+ recording was from 4k DownRes to 1080P30. The resulting recorded image is brighter and sharper than what I saw with my eyes when shooting.

I know what you mean about ergonomics. When it came to the Outdoor, hand held Picnic clips, I used my GH4 (only) instead. Lucky for me, my TriPod has leg mounts for the recorder, monitors, external batteries, etc. when using the A7s.

• The castrated S-Log2 is hell in grading skin tones.

Have you graded S-Log2 from any other camera?

the A7S can get quite noisy when you try to grade it's internal recordings in S-Log2 and didn't overexpose (which is not low-light any more).

You just dial a higher ISO setting to get the right exposure in S-Log2. It's still good for low light.

• Given the Ursa Minis pricing and now the AJA Cion is matching to boot, I seriously wonder if the FS7 will do the same. I'd buy it now if it were $4995. BTW, does the FS7 have an articulating display (i.e. can you turn it around for self recording)?

• @ balazer Yes, I did, and it's not easy too, because of the shifting (not strictly logarithmic) curve. There is a reason Sony introduced S-Log3…

But the 8 bit limitation makes it even worse. Very hard to get rid of the greenish skintones.

• @ superset : yes there's an articulated display (with flip mode) & you can fix the screen where you want w/ a rod.

• @astraban Thank you! I'll rent one next weekend to take it for a spin.

• When is the FS7 due for an update/upgrade? Perhaps there will be an FS7s?

Considering that I have spent more than $8k getting my A7s to work right, it might be worth that much to get a much more ergonomic CamCorder with better controls.

• I don't necessarily need a VG900 with an A7s sensor in it.

I'd be quite happy for an "FS1" to come along to replace the FS100, just like the FS7 "replaced" the FS700.

Its specs could be:

Same form factor as the FS7 is (but even lighter??), and not shaped like the FS100/FS700!!

FHD 422 10bit

Slow motion of 120fps at FHD

Sticking with SD cards please (not XQD)

4K 420 8bit at 24/25/30 (maybe if lucky 4K 422 10bit over SDI?)

2x SDI

3 stage internal ND filters

Same sensor as is currently in the FS700

Priced same as a JVC GY-LS300

I'd buy one of these.

And its specs/price makes it a very attractive upgrade for FS100 owners (or even Sony F3 owners like myself! Even a FS700 owner might consider this as an interesting sideways move). And of course it will attract lots of interest from other non-Sony owners too, such as C100/C300 users, AF100 users, and BMD camera owners. And every DSLR/MILC shooter will of course be attracted to it!

Yet at the same time think it has a sufficiently restrained specs/price mixed that FS7/F5/FS700 owners won't get outright pissed about it being released (like the FS7 did to F5 owners...).

• I would be willing to pay the current price of the FS7 if it had an A7s Sensor. And yes, I prefer 2+ SD cards that can be hot swapped with a little light to show which was active.

• When Sony does come out with a CamCorder with A7s Sensor, please no 2.2 crop for 120 fps. I sent my A7sII back because the 1080P120 was unusable in low light. All my Videos were loaded with moire because of the poor light I have to shoot in.

• The NEX VG900 was released in Sept 2012. Isn't it overdue for an upgrade? NAB would be a good time to display a new CamCorder.

I already ordered the Nikon D500. Very impressive specs. If the FullTime AutoFocus works in LowLight, it could be a replacement for the A7s/A7sII.