Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sigma 18-35mm Companion Lenses
  • I'm currently looking for lenses that compliment the Sigma 18-35mm in terms of characteristics, color and sharpness. Zooms (preferably) and primes. Nothing slower than 2.8 if we're talking zooms and nothing slower that 1.8 if we're talking primes. I'm looking for modern glass only. The 18-35mm is my go to lens right now but I need something on the longer end in particular. I've also been thinking about going wider with the Tokina. I've been looking at the Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 for example as a good portrait to telephoto lens.

I'm a Nikon mount guy so no Canon L glass, please.

This is for the NX1. I'm not going to invest in the Samsung glass after thinking about it for awhile. I want to stick to a mount that I know will outlast the camera.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • If I remember correctly, I believe there is a Sigma 50mm in the same "Art" line as the 18-35, if you're trying to get a perfect match with image. The Sigma website has them all listed.

• I'd like to get something that's usually wide open. From what I've read 50mm Art lens isn't really good until you get to like F4.

• Compared to practically all older lenses including Canon's and Nikon's 50mm lenses, the Sigma 50mm art is much, much better wide open. Next to the Sigma, your only real option would be Zeiss (and then only modern lenses like the Otus).

• Sigma lenses generally match well with each other, despite what you've heard, the art primes are quite sharp wide open. The previous 50mm 1.4 is pretty close to the art series characteristics and sharpness if you're looking for a budget option.

You're looking for modern glass but Nikon Ai lenses in good condition are preferable due to longer focus throw and manual aperture. Color is similar to Sigma & Zeiss and many of them are quite sharp. All lenses perform best stopped down.

• I'll investigate more on that 50. Any zoom recommendations?

• The Sigma Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is the only zoom in this fast aperture category.

I hear the Nikkor 24mm f1.4 G prime is sweet (and pricey).

• I'd take a 2.8 zoom if it's characteristics and sharpeness at 2.8 are good. I've been looking at the Tokina 50-135 and Sigma 50-150 in particular.

• Forget about the older Tokina lenses. They suffer from CAs (at every aperture setting).
    And many of them are quite soft wide open. Also the MF system isn´t the best to focus manually.

• so Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 seems to be the best bet on the long end. Would the Rokinons match? like the 50mm and 85mm in particular?