Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Zuiko 45 mm 1.8 vs Nikon 50 1.4
  • Hello. I bought metabones speedbuster to my Gh2. Now I have a dilema. Do I should sell my old Zuiko 45mm and buy Nikon 50 1.4 ? I use the camera only ! for shooting the video. I dont use autofocus. What is better option for me ? I will be greatfull for any advices.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • No. Definitely keep the 45. Now if you want to sell and buy a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.2 then we might have a discussion.

• My advice: if you dont need autofocus sell olympus 45mm and buy Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 PG it is excellent.

• If you never need AF or AE, the Nikon/booster will be much better. Brighter, wayyy better focus ring, less "electronic"/processed-looking image, more DOF control.

• Not to mention Nikon mount is highly adaptable to new bodies and has been around for ages. In reality good glass will live through many many bodies, not that I think M4/3 is going anywhere right now, but if a really great EF mount or E-Mount, or whatever mount camera comes out, I know my Nikon glass is likely going to be able to mount.

• Yeah, so much super cheap legacy glass at 1.4. Very easy to pick up something great for not too much money, especially if it is not one of the major less collectible brands like a Minolta, Konica, Pentax, etc. So I would keep the 45,and pick up a cheaper 1.4 or a super cheap 1.8 or 2.0. Say a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AI long nose or a 50mm 2.0, which can easily be found for around 50 US. Hexanon 40mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4. Rokkor 50mm f1.4 or 58mm f1.4. Takumar 50mm f2, Pentax M 1.8…… The list goes on, all around 50 US dollars.