Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2TB seagate expansion ext. usb3
  • I got my new 2tb seagate expansion drive today usb3 and plugged it into usb 3 and started transferring all my files over 800gb and it started off fast then went down to 30mb/s thats worse than my usb2. I remember installing usb3 drivers, I have no idea what to do, can someone help me????

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • Best idea is to get any HDD benchmark/test apps (check that review sites is using for HDDs) and make testing.

Also replace the cable, if possible / use other MB connector.

• i used crystaldisk and it was around 40mb/sec. i dont have another usb 3 cable i dont think

doin a 12gb transfer of video footage, around 35mb/sec

• I see people gettin over 130mb.sec with this drive, what is the deal?

• It could be many things please try to be more specific in what kind of computer you are using, have you tried other USB3 drives, what results do you have the same? Do you have the USB3 drivers updated..... try what Vitaliy said, it can be OS error, bad setup, bad hardrive, bad drivers for your usb3, bad usb3 chip...

Or just for taking stupid things out of the way, from where are you copying the data to the drive, maybe the other hardrive is botlenecking, or the computer...

Be more especific and maybe some of us can help

• from where are you copying the data to the drive, maybe the other hardrive is botlenecking, or the computer...

Good thing to notice. I can assure you that old drive can be so fragmented or have low level issues that can make it even below 1MB/sec. At first read test of files you copy must be performed. Most easy thing.

• Gigabyte z77 ds3h motherboard intel i5 3570k 16gb ram 1600mhz corsair evga g2 750 watt psu windows 7 64 bit

I dont have any other usb 3 drives around to try, With my old 2tb usb 2 i was getting a lil slower or lil faster speeds than this. ive tried all the ports on front and back all seems same between 35mb-40mb s tops. I went into device manager and updated all my usb devices ect and none of them needed updating. with my recent video card i sold be cause? other than that i got a USB3 sd card readerweek ago and it reads the cards fast and usb3 speeds. the other drive is a 7200 rpm 1tb drive i believe. that i was transferring from. Reason I got this drive is for faster usb 3 speed, when i plug it into any usb port it says plug int into usb 3 super speed for faster speed.

https://superuser.com/questions/478184/verifying-usb-connection-speed-usb-3-or-usb-2

see USB bus device High speed mine says same thing so its using usb2. far as ive gotten.

• does drive indexing matter? my one drive is indexed while the other isnt. what about Legacy Bios USB in bios should i disable that?

• anyone have any other advice? this sucks transferring 800gb of files takes over 6-7 hours. my older drive was faster, jus wanna figure out why this isnt working like it should be.

or update bios?

• It is probably that your 1tb drive is full and very fragmented like Vitaliy said, and if the system OS is running on this same drive and you have programs open it will not go higher than 40 to 50Mb/s: Try this, your motherboard has 2x blue Usb3 ports in the rear use these, use the Sd card reader and transfer a big file like 2 or 3Gb, directly to the new 2tb hard drive, also format it if you can in exfat just in case you need to use it in mac and pc, if not NTFS is ok for pc only. If the new drive is fresh formatted and it does not give the same speed of the card assuming it is a fast one it will go over 60Mb/s, I would advise you to find a friend and test the drive in other pc or mac with usb3 ports than you should know if it´s the drive or the motherboard, and from there take decisions.

Almost shure is the drive you are copying from, but you have to test it. Good luck

• Also this new drive in spite is usb3 will not go higher than 100Mb/s, 130Mb/s maximum sustained speed. That's the top for mechanical drives like the one you have.

• I know you are on Windows, but, this might be relevant:

I have a hackintosh running on very similar hardware and a seagate expansion drive (usb 3). I recall getting 90-100 MB/sec xfer speeds when I first set it up (all drives were new) 2 yrs. ago.

The Gigabyte boards I am told are great, but it took a little work to get USB3 running right for the Mac OS. For the Hackintosh: I had to turning something off in the bios and plug the USB 3 expansion ports into a certain plug on the motherboard (one connected more directly to the intel processor) as this is the only way Mac uses USB 3, directly off the intel processor. The rear USB3 ports have an internal hub chip made by Via Labs and on the Mac OS I couldn't get them to work reliably. I have found the aforementioned 2 expansion ports (mounted wherever you want, but probably the front of the case) are enough for me.

TonyMac gets pretty deep into this stuff. I also made the mistake of running an updater I shouldn't have trying to get the rear USB ports to run at USB 3 speeds and had to swap the motherboard. My build is 2 years old, so it maybe a different story now. However there is some good info on TonyMac about the bios settings that may help even in your set-up

"Gigabyte has a setting in the BIOS called xHCI mode" The explanation is here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desktop-support/57694-usb-3-0-gigabyte-uefi-motherboards-xhci-mode-explained.html

My path to solid USB3 is here. Some of it may help you in Windows or at least understand the motherboard better. Post #15: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/90668-help-needed-usb-3-0-behavior-via-labs-vl811-usb3-hub-chip-ga-z77x-ud5h-rev-1-1-mobo-2.html#post834614

• I had similar problems with external usb drives on an older Gigabyte board. Restarting the computer usually helped or transferring smaller blocks of files. Now I usually avoid USB and use a SATA drive bay

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7750173&CatId=285

• Get good advice - ignore ALL complex and personal remarks.

Make just two tests - writing of big random data (from memory) to new drive. Attach to different ports. If speed is low - make exchange and get new drive. Second test - make read test of original HDD (read same files you want to copy), if speed is low - make low level test and defragmentation. Period.

Thing that most people do - instead of simple things they start reinstalling drivers and OS :-)

• ok thanks for the advice, I plugged in my new SD usb3 card reader into front ports and transferred 2+ gb to the SSD. and it was fairly fast around 60-100mb/sec. sometimes lil faster but it would go down. Yeah I figured out how to get usb3 working on my hackintosh but im not using hackintosh anymore.

• By saying SSD you mean the 2Tb external usb3 drive?? Because SSD goes for Solid State Drive, and you never mentioned that before ;-)

If so and if you got above 60Mb/s to 100Mb/s in this new drive from the card reader the drive is OK, the hardware is ok, leave it alone.

Your problem is your internal hard drive, as stated in my first post, best thing to do would be backup your data, and format that drive, defragmentation like Vitaliy said is good but it takes forever and is only temporary, it wont last more than a few weeks maybe a couple of months and things will be the same, do a fresh install ( I do one every 6 to 8 moths at most, windows 7, 8 , 8.1 is a garbage collector).

As for a simple advice, for video editing is not recommended to use the system drive as work drive, it is very stressful and you don't have good results on the long term, it is best to buy a small SSD like 128Gb or + they are inexpensive now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100008120%204814%20600038488%20600076738%20600038496%20600038500%20600038485%20600038487

Install OS and programs on the SSD, update latest drivers from original brands and keep things clean.

It will last for a while you will notice fast speed overall, and be happy with USB3 tranfers :-)

• I think your confused. No SSD as in the samsung 500gb ssd Im using as boot for windows ect. not as in the 2TB ext usb3.

• OK so the speed is OK on your ext. drive.

Go with this good advice: Second test - make read test of original HDD (read same files you want to copy), if speed is low - make low level test and defragmentation. Period. Maybe format if you can.

Cheers

• On my newer sony vaio laptop i can hit 125MB per sec on BIG files (video) then i noticed on smaller files the MB/ps dropped down to 30-ish..then shot back up to 90-120MBps, its running windows 8. somthin and i was copying from one usb3 external drive to another usb3 external drive or SDXC card to USB3 SDXC card reader to external usb3 drive. i was following chatter on Microsoft forum about ways of sustaining the transfer speed...either on the PC internal and or external drive as there was 1000's of users asking about the up and down bit rate jump. and to be honest i completely forgot about the microsoft forum. JCLMEDIA - did you notice the drop in MBps with smaller files / video?

• That is normal, one thing is sustained transfer speed and the other is random access speed, it changes a lot depending in the fragmentation, and physical disk limitations. Other thing is burst speed when the data is transferred super fast in normal disks like 300Mb/s and more got occasions when I transferred 3Gb files in less than 5 seconds, on the same disk that gives maximum sustained speed of 120Mb/s, it depend on the ram, memory allocated and size, hard disk status and if its full or empty, speed of the disks, etc.