Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
MAKINON MC 28-80mm which mount
  • Hi everyone, do you know which mount is shown on the photo? I would like to order an adapter to M43. Has anyone used the MAKINON MC 28-80mm 3.5-4.5 lens with GH2? Is it any good?

makinon mc what mount.jpg
    1024 x 685 - 52K
  • 1 Reply sorted by
  • That's Pentax K-mount.

There are multiple Makinon 28-80 f/3.5-4.5 lenses. I can't tell which one you have from your photo. My copy is not in great shape so I'm not really sure how well this lens can perform. But knowing what I know about similar lenses, it's going to be just o.k. - not great. That's not to say you can't get very good images out of it. You can, if you have good technique. The lens just isn't as good as a lot of other lenses that don't cost much more. And it's a poor match for the GH2, being a full-frame lens.

Set the aperture ring between f/5.6 and f/16. Around f/11 or f/16 will be the lens's sweet spot for sharpness and contrast. Zoom lenses like this can flare badly, so use your hand to block the sun or get a big lens hood.

Some versions of this lens have a macro ring that shifts the entire optical assembly away from the camera. You can use it as a makeshift back-focus adjustment to make this lens parfocal on adapters that are too short (i.e. practically all adapters). It's a handy feature that few lenses have.