Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HC-X1000 in Low Light
  • I have a Panasonic HC-X1000 on order. How well will it handle Low Light? Do the dual processors, etc help? I had a HC-W850 and it had a "blind range" between 800 ISO equivalent and when the IR kicked in.

I am currently using my GH4 with 12-35 f/2.8 lens and it is good up to about 1600 ISO but lacks the detail even at 4k that I want. I usually just shoot 1080P60 to cut down on motion blur. I have tried increasing shutter speed but that darkens the image. What I shoot is 1-3 hours in a poorly lit Bowling Alley. This is done unattended from a TriPod.

First thing I will try is the 4k at 60fps with 120s shutter speed and see how that goes. I hope I do not have to return the VideoCam as there is nothing that is not much more expensive that will do the job.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • If you want to shoot 4K/60p on such a small sensor you are going to need to add light to such a dark scene. If you can't add light you will have to compromise on your framerate/shutterspeed.

• I have a LED light to try, but not sure if the bowling alley will allow it. The camera TriPod is only 20-25 ft from the bowler.

• My HC-X1000 came today. I am setting it up and testing with the AC adapter. Looks like I could run it off my 10000 mAh Anker external battery if I wanted/needed to. This machine is twice as good as the HC-W850 and should be for 4 times the money. I tried iA, iA+, and manual and so far prefer the latter as it lets you dial in the shutter speed, gain, and white balance while still maintaining FullTime AutoFocus.

I really like the 4k at 60fps and can't wait to test it at the Bowling alley Friday.

• Bowling Alley 4k 30P test Video was darker than GH4 but with better detail. Second try should be better. I really like the controls on this camera. I am now testing with full manual settings. Adjustments in my Den (man cave) look promising. I will get results after Church Service today

• You could also try NeatVideo Denoiser. Its expensive, but a magical piece of software that will allow you to creep up the ISO to get you where you need to be. It is unbelievably good at cleaning up video, you just have to try it.