Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
External Audio - Small camera, no mic input (GX7 / LX100)?
  • I'm looking at ways to augment the sound capabilities of my GX7 and LX100 cameras for run-and-gun event shooting. Neither of them have microphone input jacks, and both have hotshoes. I'm trying to find a small solution, since these are small cameras, to use with my benro video monopod. I already own a Zoom H1 recorder, but I'm wondering if a small shotgun mic would be more appropriate for directional sound recording.

Some of the ideas I've looked at:

Rode videmic go (£60) -> Zoom H1 (own it) or something like the new Tascam DR-10c (£200).

Shure Lenshopper VP83F with built-in recorder (£300).

Any experiences with small external-audio setups would be appreciated. The first project I'm going to use this for will be trying to video an outdoor winter bobsled/skeleton event at the end of January.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Videomic GO is quite "big" actually so I'm not sure about that (olso I don't like it's sound). Maybe you can try it out somewhere to check if the size is ok for you. still you would need to mount the recorder somewhere, using a hot shoe sled or something to mount both the mic and the recorder on the cam, which decreases on it's "mobility", no?. I would probably go with either the zoom + windshield -> nice stereo atmo sound (and because of the XY pattern of the mics it's still more directional than AB pattern) or in the case you are in need of a set-up for interviews & statements (and have the time to set it up), why not take the zoom off of the cam and use it on the subject in combination with a lav-mic (around 30 bucks)? Or you could leave it on-cam and just buy something like a philips dvt4000 (internal battery) or dvt3500 (aa batteries) voice recorder. It has a mic input and the preamps are quite usable for voice (dvt4000 has better ones). Cheers!

• Thanks for the tips.

I forgot to say, that I do own an Olympus lav (which I've used with Zoom H1) and the Rode Smartlav (which I've used with an iphone. I do have a windshield for the Zoom H1. I guess the problem that I have with the Zoom H1 is that it picks up a lot of handling noise as well as that it seems to pick up all sound around.

I like those philips recorders although they are only slightly thinner and shorter in length than the Zoom H1.

I think that I'll experiment a bit more with the zoom H1 and a set of headphones over the next week and see what I come up with.

I'm still not sure exactly how best to mount the H1 to my camera/monopod to keep everything together...

• I don't know your view on diy stuff but there are several neat ideas of shock-proof mounting which could easily be adopted for the zoom ;)

looking slightly unprofessional but it's cheap and can be improved upon (black textured spraypaint, smaller pipe, cutouts to reduce weight etc.):

Similar Versions:

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3080602/all

http://www.wiremonkey.com/diy_shock_1.htm

Here's how to build a cheap Hot shoe mount:

• If you don't want to mess around with DIY solutions. I use this shock mount for my Zoom H1 and it fits perfectly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NM5M8K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Be aware that the H1 sometimes sports a "pulse" noise that "sounds like a helicopter hovering in the distance, with the woop-woop-woop of rotor blades cutting through what should be silence", as this blog describes well. I've sent mine to assistance for this woop-woop-woop, that's present also with the low cut filter switched to on.