Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Need Recommendation on Long Lens for m43
  • Looking for good 300 or 400mm lens to use for shooting wildlife with my GH4. Should have tripod collar. My budget is $200-$300. I realize that would restrict me to legacy glass. Anyone have any recommendations?

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Why not 100-300mm Panasonic lens?

• I borrowed one and at 300mm it looked very soft. Under 250mm it looked good. But 300 or 400mm is where I need to be.

• canon 300mm f4 fd

• I think the consensus depends on whether you use an extender , or not. The L is at least double the price and harder to find.

• To be serious, you need OIS and good monopod or tripod shooting 300mm at m43. Really.

• I always shoot on a rock solid tripod. Do you think a good copy of the Canon 300mm f4 FD without extender would exceed resolution of the Panasonic 100-300?

• I always shoot on a rock solid tripod.

It is not easy to shoot wildlife on tripod, as it, kind of, moves or flies :-)

Do you think a good copy of the Canon 300mm f4 FD without extender would exceed resolution of the Panasonic 100-300?

You need to check tests and feedback. Only quite long old lens I like is 80-200mm F4 L FD.

• I have the panny 100-300 and have yet to find a soft spot on it's zoom range. I would try another copy were I you - it's a good bit of glass

• Ok, I will give it another try.

• have you considered the contax zeiss vario-sonnar 80-200mm? should get you right where you want to be on m43. it's a bargain and within your price range including the CY adapter.

• Already have the Panasonic 45-175mm. Getting a 80-200mm wouldn't get me to where I want to be which is 300 or 400.

• @natureflixs

Are you making prints? As for all computer works it is usually better to have shorter and good lens and crop.

• do you want the equivalent field of view of a 35mm camera with a 400mm lens or an 800mm lens? with the GH4's crop factor a zoom that takes you up to 200mm should be just where you want to be. if you need to be at 800mm most people recommend an extender i would think.

• This will be video. I shoot from a blind in a baited area thus being able to lock down the the camera. My 45-175mm gives me an equivalent view of 90-350mm which is not close enough. A 300mm lense would be 600mm which is where I want to be. Some may say use "ex tel conv" but I do not like how it looks. I want to shoot in 4k for the best quality then down convert to 1080 via Edius.