Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Letus released Hurlbut branded rigs

Via: freshdv.com
    hurlbut-letus-4.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 288K
    hurlbut-letus-10.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 298K
    hurlbut-letus-1.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 357K
  • 18 Replies sorted by
  • looks interesting. and eeeexpensive. my guess is that the best way to get the ideal rig is to start assembling it with your own hands. this way you will have everything you may need. some say it will cost more, but I don't agree.
  • Just don't get it near Christian Bale
  • I like the idea of the shoulder mount underneath the camera. If this is a quick disassembly, I would be interested in adding this to my own rig. Are there any other rig manufactures making a similar mount?
  • I'm just thinking, does anyone seen rigs from Japan? we are all know from U.S., China, Taiwan, Germany, Korea but what about Japan. Do they make their own rigs?
  • In a word or three or however many it takes- what a cheezy nightmare piece of crap. That photo with all the bits piled onto the rig with wires everywhere is pretty much the opposite direction we oughta be going. That sucker probably takes an hour to put together. Our little beauty is small and indiscreet and we should keep it that way. If you need all the bells and whistles for some of the shoot then rent. Don't waste your money on so much gear. Put it on the screen or in the time you need to write something worthy of all the work required to get it there.
  • @davhar

Do not be so extreme. Each has his own goals and wishes.
  • But I agree with "davhar" to make your feature film or a commercial, you defiantly don't need to buy all that, it is best to rent, and you need to be able to pay your crew members actors or models as well. Now days things change very fast, like computers, it is best rent, in that way, you always can use the latest products on the market and still be in a game.
  • @Eugene

I understand your position.
    But.
    First. In many countries you can't rent anything.
    Second. I think it is best to make separate topic on it.
  • In some places the distance to a rental outlet counts too with the price of gasoline on the rise…
  • I understand about renting expensive gear, but I personally think it is a huge advantage to buy so you understand all the strengths and weaknesses of a system - less time wasted in the field. That's why I don't buy expensive name tag gear.
  • Whow, do they include the global shutter in the $ 7000 price, because looking at those camera moves etc I just imagine the skew and jello that would be generated. I even ask myself if the the action shots from the army was done on the 5d, the dof is insane, I mean everything is in focus.

The level of consumerism in the dslr world is extraordinary. It is just a gear thing, now it is rigged, with on one side the manufactures and now we have the... celebrities, selling their name for some company. The problem of the free info is that it is driven buy advertising, so we are trading our liberties for that. In the end the bloggers are becoming a cancer to our society because you just can't rely on them as they will always sell/influence you to their highest bidder because that is their only revenue.

What they don't tell you is that you won't be able to achieve 10% of what they are doing, because the gear they are advertising contribute only 10% of what they are showing. In fact 90% of what you are seeing is due to the production value (lighting, sets, actors, costume, models, etc). In fact you can do 90% of the look by investing in that and some normal gear. Apart from the studio set up with the ingenious EVF system, the rest can be done for 1/10 of the quoted price. So $ 6900 for just a set of rods and pieces of metal, it is understandable why our world economy is collapsing with such inept concept.
  • The way the system works the economy is not collapsing from buying unnecessary things, but from NOT buying them…
  • Like buying so many unnecessary and overpriced thing, in the end you end bankrupt with a mountain of dept and can't buying any more things.
  • There should be no issue as long as one can make money from his tools regardless how stupid they look.
  • The Hurlbut Eyepiece Leveler looks cool, but couldn't you just attach the EVF to an arm that's mounted below the pan head?
  • @danyyyel: I'm a guitar player and in the music business people have been putting their name on instruments for ages. Almost every major guitarist today has a signature guitar... So to me this is nothing new!
  • I do unterstand for a guitar or an instrument, but would you buy the Jimi Hendrix string, the Santana strap, theedge capos etc etc. If Panasonic tomorrow launches a special Vitaliy driftwood 200 mbit special edition GH2, I might understand. I get some emotional attachment from the gh2, because for what it can do and help me to achieve. In 5 to 10 years we will all still be talking about that little revolutionary camera that was hacked by some stubborn users and programer against all odds of those big corporation, while we will have some RAW shooting DSLR 4.0 by our side.

But to brand some piece of metal rods etc like this is insane for me. 95% of what they are showing can be done for about 1/10 of the price. The studio set-up eyepiece system and a holder system for round filter glass is innovative in some ways, but the rest!!! Even these 2 can be done, just put your viewfinder/evf at the same level as your tripod axis. I thought about using a rectangular 4x4 metal frame with a 77mm lens ring converted in the middle so as to be able to screw a round glass filter (much cheaper) in the middle and be able to use them in a matte box.