Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony cancels "The Interview" release
  • Not only did Sony fail to invest into their corporate IT infrastructure at least 1% of what they spent on technology to harass their customers to not use Sony products as they like, now they also cowardly cancel a movie release on some anonymous threat email.

Sony has really earned itself being slapped by investors, consumers and malicious hackers alike.

• 45 Replies sorted by
  • If you ask me, it all was made intentionally. To promote very bad movie (not to get money on it, but mostly promote illegal distribution).

• If you ask me, it all was made intentionally. To promote very bad movie (not to get money on it, but mostly promote illegal distribution).

• Hmm... doing such intentionally sounds like a very expensive marketing stunt... especially considering how many copycats will now feel encouraged to send anonymous threats on whatever movie they dislike.

• especially considering how many copycats will now feel encouraged to send anonymous threats on whatever movie they dislike.

Are you sure that any threats ever existed?

• And are you sure they don't have daily threat they simply ignored? It's not like it's an uncommon thing for every public email to something widely known (people or brand).

• Very unlikely imo this was manufactured from inside. Damaging allegations and evidence of sexism, vulnerability to criminal charges, civil lawsuits, and especially loss of face to Japanese bosses. Btw, other studios in Hollwood have locked down. Now using fax machines!

• Cyber Security expert Philip Lieberman on SONY hackers, hackers most likely non-state hackers or Sony employees, Korean Language experts: threats not in Korean "inversion", LISTEN to Part one, begins at 16:50 - 24:00

"The Interview" X-mas premiere cancelled

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/episode/2014/12/17/wednesday-cuba---us-relations-restored-rehtaeh-parsons-named-the-interview-premiere-cancelled-and-mo/

• They're saying if N. Korea did, they likely farmed the work out to some team in another country.

• @vk: "Are you sure that any threats ever existed?" - No, of course not, but that won't keep copycats from jumping on the bandwagon.

Actually, my first thought when I heard the "terror threat" story was: Ok, now that Sony has been caught with their trousers down, they play the usual "Those were terrorists!" card.

I mean, would a corporation like Sony ever admit they've been hacked by some playful 13 years old? Declaring your opponents to be terrorists, on the other hand, in today's world seems to justify everything.

• And the next movie has been cancelled by the hollywood bunch of terror threat cowards: http://www.slashfilm.com/pyongyang-movie-canceled/.

• So who actually hacked them? Were they so stupid that they had a single account that had access to absolutely everything their company has ever done from emails to digital copies of unreleased movies?

You don’t just sweep in and steal terabytes worth of data without leaving a single trace. I want to know why Sony hasn’t said anything about who actually stole the data.

• Here's why

belushi_snl_samurai_tailor9.jpg
    400 x 355 - 67K
  • Sony fired a lot if IT people earlier in the year. Then they shuttered Sony Imageworks and relocated to Vancouver. Some say Revenge of the Nerds!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-sony-pictures-lays-off-employees-technology-group-20140122-story.html

Japanese companies have not fared well in Hollywood. Remember Matsushita (Panasonic) bought MCA Universal for $6.6 billion and ended up dumping it. The management kept producing bomb after bomb, maybe intentionally. Hollywood is like a black hole, making money vanish. Market analysts have called it the " Mugging" of Japanese companies. Hollywood is now courting Chinese capital, but they have been more cautious about throwing billions into the black hole.

The Evidence That North Korea Hacked Sony Is Flimsy

But in their initial public statement, whoever hacked Sony made no mention of North Korea or the film. And in an email sent to Sony by the hackers, found in documents they leaked, there is also no mention of North Korea or the film. The email was sent to Sony executives on Nov. 21, a few days before the hack went public. Addressed to Sony Pictures CEO Michael Lynton, Chairwoman Amy Pascal and other executives, it appears to be an attempt at extortion, not an expression of political outrage or a threat of war.

“[M]onetary compensation we want,” the email read. “Pay the damage, or Sony Pictures will be bombarded as a whole. You know us very well. We never wait long. You’d better behave wisely.”

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/evidence-of-north-korea-hack-is-thin/

• Well, this hack story is probably a welcome pretense for US agencies and warmongers to start the next round of cyber agressions (following their attacks on BelgaCom and others):

National Security Council Spokesperson Bernadette Meehan released a statement that did not directly address the topic of North Korea's role. It reads, in part: "The United States is investigating attribution and will provide an update at the appropriate time. The U.S. government is working tirelessly to bring the perpetrators of this attack to justice, and we are considering a range of options in weighing a potential response."

• Working in IT for a large corporation, Sony getting hacked comes as no surprise to me. IT infrastructure and security come at the bare minimum of spending because it's a big expense that returns no revenue. Companies are willing to skate by, and in Sony's case, they were really skating on thin ice.

I initially thought this was all an elaborate marketing scheme... but as more news pours in, it just sounds like crappy IT investments, and knee jerk reactions.

• Hack seems to be genuine, but this North Korea pushes seems to be orchestrated.

• Exclusive: Sony Emails Say State Department Blessed Kim Jong-Un Assassination in ‘The Interview’

“In fact, when I have briefed my book on ‘preparing for the possibility of a North Korean collapse’ [Sept 2013], I have been clear that the assassination of Kim Jong-Un is the most likely path to a collapse of the North Korean government. Thus while toning down the ending may reduce the North Korean response, I believe that a story that talks about the removal of the Kim family regime and the creation of a new government by the North Korean people (well, at least the elites) will start some real thinking in South Korea and, I believe, in the North once the DVD leaks into the North (which it almost certainly will). So from a personal perspective, I would personally prefer to leave the ending alone.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/17/exclusive-sony-emails-allege-u-s-govt-official-ok-d-controversial-ending-to-the-interview.html

http://antiwar.com/blog/2014/12/18/state-dept-the-interview/print/

• Why the Sony hack is unlikely to be the work of North Korea.

4. Whoever did this is in it for revenge. The info and access they had could have easily been used to cash out, yet, instead, they are making every effort to burn Sony down.

http://marcrogers.org/2014/12/18/why-the-sony-hack-is-unlikely-to-be-the-work-of-north-korea/

https://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/2014/12/a-breakdown-and-analysis-of-the-december-2014-sony-hack/

• President Obama says that the United States will respond to North Korea over its cyberattack on Sony Pictures. He declined to say what that response will be, saying only that it will be "proportional."

Well, it is officially NK now. :-) Must pay.

• @VK

In some way, yes.

How they're going to do that, they haven't a clue

• Why North Korea's Sony hack made 'The Interview' required viewing

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/19/north-korea-hack-the-interview-must-watch/

As I said - marketing campaign across all major resources.

• This is definitely nsa/cia handiwork. Motive, means, and method. It's a new form of digital falseflag ! Obama is just a cia puppet on a string. And it's probably not about Sony. Sony was just the first. Others will follow. Regime change in NK is just another globalist goal. I'm surprised they didn't blame it on Iran though.

• Prez Regime Change is really upset the movie isn't in the theatres! "I hate it when a plan doesn't come together!" NK may be part of "China containment"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_containment_policy

Next??

• Maybe it's NK but I'm thinking it isn't. Hackers tend to be good trolls afterall.

Anyway Sony Picture's pulling of the movie seemed sensible and not cowardly. There was a threat, and there are probably other spree shooters just waiting for some sort of rallying event to get their kill on. It's not worth the risk for Sony at this point.

I think the movie should be released to pirates though - just release it on the net and be done with it. I won't watch it because I know it will suck, but it will shut up everybody crying about freedom of speech, which I find ridiculous.

Oh yeah, Sony should've dumped the studio when they had the chance. Daniel Loeb was 100% correct and George Clooney was 100% fail

• Actually it was the theatre chains that refused to exhibit the movie due to liability issues, and probably old fashioned fear! Although Sony is thinking of online release, no online streaming service has offered to carry it.

They could "Red Dawn" it, re-edit the movie and change the country to Canada and the Canadian prime minister. It was shot in Vancouver anyways!

Miss America reminds us about freedom of speech: