Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Well, shit

premium40.jpg
    833 x 707 - 157K
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, I heard it happens...

I don't know if the "Action Man" is the one to blame for this, but we've seen that anything goes. Anyway any discussion on this subject is a can of worms! I'll keep my rationals to myself because we (in the EU) haven't been behaving any better, just invading less... :(

• @duartix

I can provide you many details in PM if you want. Here we do not discuss R. :-)

@Sage

Nope

• Wow. Damn - "Holy Shit" is really describing it well ...

• Good site for such times - http://zenrus.ru/ :-)

• Today I was shocked/pleasantly surprised when I filled my car for $3.11/gallon -- until a few months ago it was usually in the range of $4/gallon. Heating oil cost is way down, which will save a lot for me this winter. It seems weird that the price should change so much though. Supposedly its because of Saudi Arabia not wanting to cut production, but I have a feeling it doesn't gain them much revenue but it does hurt other oil producers revenue. I think it's political, maybe about Syria (fill in the blanks).

• The Board of Directors of the Bank of Russia has decided to increase from December 16, 2014 the key rate to 17.00% per annum. This decision was driven by the need to limit significantly increased in recent devaluation and inflation risks.

Monetary idiots, as usual.

• @Alienhead

maybe it's because isis , who work for the US and Israelis, are marketing all of the stolen iraqi and syrian oil !

• maybe it's because isis , who work for the US and Israelis, are marketing all of the stolen iraqi and syrian oil

Sounds too complex, isn't it? :-)

• Maybe "Hope and Change" wasn't successful in Syria, Ukraine, so somebody is throwing a tantrum... ( Economic war) :

What really happened in Beijing

...Oil prices are now below $80 a barrel. It costs me nearly $20 less to put gasoline in my car than it did a year ago, and good enough. But why has the price of crude tumbled in so short an interval? ..... To do this, Kerry told the Saudis 1. to raise production and 2. to cut its crude price.

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/13/what_really_happened_in_beijing_putin_obama_xi_and_the_back_story_the_media_wont_tell_you/

• @jleo

Do not read idiots. Media now seems to be so retarded, I have no words. As this guys do not even understand that oil price can be manipulated without any "saudis" and that actual oil production/demand have almost nothing to do with it also.

As I said, monetary idiots.

premium41.jpg
    756 x 708 - 141K

premium42.jpg
    587 x 711 - 107K
  • @jleo

The sudden fall of oil prices is a great blank slate to fill in with insecurity and existential narrative. It is always more comfortable for a people to look without than within.

A big thing that has emerged for me - how much money the big oil companies have been making! They have been charging king's sums, and they are probably still making a killing. A kind of global mass redistribution to the pockets of a few (as usual)

• If I was investing right now, I would buy ruble assets. I agree with this analysis - http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.in/2014/12/ruble-moves-25-intraday-bidask-spread.html

• Some funds to watch - ING Russia, Voya Russia. ETF Market Vectors Russia ETF (RSX) and SPDR S&P Russia ETF

Third Millennium

Just watching ATM. A great way to find out when sentiment is close to a bottom, is to see the discount that the mutual fund quotes at. Ideally, the stock market and currency would be at multi year lows and the mutual fund would quote at 10-20% discount to NAV.

• US tar sands plus Saudis opening up the taps means global oil prices in freefal. Since 2/3s of R's exports is oil, the result is inevitable. Of course invasions and sanctions don't help either...

My personal take: Saudis smart. They are opening up production to intentionally drop prices to fight USA's domestic efforts. Fracking isn't profitable unless oil prices are high. Saudis keep prices low to kill US production and ensure their future continued oil revenues. R just an unintended side effect.

But the larger result will be another global super-recession, also not the intention...

• US tar sands plus Saudis opening up the taps means global oil prices in freefal. Since 2/3s of R's exports is oil, the result is inevitable. Of course invasions and sanctions don't help either...

Nope. You can just go back into blog posts and check actual charts on oil and energy. No free wall will follow in any long term and, in fact, it is very probably to see big price hikes.

• This is nothing. R. has survived such things many times in the past. Or nobody remembers when suddenly people in R. woke up with their currency devaluation, and life savings up in smoke back in the 90's? They survived. So this is nothing. They'll survive, no problem. The bigger issue is how to disconnect the R. economy from dependence on oil revenue and natural resource mineral extraction... you need to have more sources of income, so that some stupid change of price in one thing - oil - doesn't wreck the whole economy. R. must become independent of oil revenue - develop other sources of income. If China could do it, R. can do it. There are a lot of very smart and educated people in R. - much better educated than people in China in the past, so they should do even better - take a look how many world class scientists, mathematicians and so on come from Russia. So they are in an excellent position to develop industry and economy and not be so dependent on making money from oil. The only thing I think Putin is doing that is stupid is wasting so much money building the military... what for? Nobody is going to attack R. as long as they have nuclear weapons (which they will always have), so why waste money on the military instead of building the economy. But anyway, this ruble thing is nothing.

• @RottenCarcass

The only thing I think Putin is doing that is stupid is wasting so much money building the military... what for?

Your knowledge is flawed. P's military buildup is a response to real threats from the nato/eu/usa alliance. What would happen if mexico and canada decided to ally themselves with china , threatening the security of the usa ? The same thing is happening along R's border. What do you think ukraine is all about ?? And this currency attack was obviously orchestrated. It's not whether R will survive. It's whether the world will !

Any good TVs and all such shit are gone from most shops.

People invested in everything sold for old or near prices.

Smartest ones went to USD in the summer, went back to ruble, bought stuff and wait :-)

premium43.jpg
    1098 x 730 - 110K
  • Looks like a typical leveraging and manipulation stunt of some the usual suspects - Goldman, Sorros etc. - to me. With that, you can bring every currency down to its knees.