Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lytro Focus Spread
  • 8 Replies sorted by
  • A solution in desperate search for a problem.

The setting presented here could be better dealt with in so many obvious ways, with conventional cameras, and a higher quality result.

• I think Lytro / Kinect Depth technology should and will be part of every camera. offering easy creation of 3d models, masks, reframing, refocusing... this is the future of filmmaking.

• quality of actors fills me with confidence

• @chopnshoot ahahahahahahaha, indeed

• terrible actors, just awful. do they not see this?

I can see some use for this in media acquisition or unplanned shots. But for godssakes the guy even says, "duhh, let's fix it in post", the true words of someone who has no idea what they're doing.

• As soon as this produces good enough resolution there´s exactly no reason not to incorporate this tech into any photographic workflow. And I don´t mean for fixing focus in post (though also that of course). The shot they´re using in this ridiculously bad commercial/tutorial already shows a very special aestethic once both actors are in focus with the bg blurred. It has to be implemented wisely (like 3D) but I see great potential. It will become something pro first and then early adopter-ish and then mainstream. Like everything else.

• Their ideas are good, actually. Having high megapixel sensor used to produce quite low res picture, but with post processing freedom.

Such thing can be used even in simple web cameras allow you to fully blur background you do not want other side to see.

• Check in details

Focus Spread is the software culmination of what we already knew was possible with Lytro cameras. Though, as with almost anything in the (light) field of photography, it's still in its infancy.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/12/12/an-inside-look-at-lytros-new-focus-spread-feature